LA Toja Classic Shave Cream Review

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by figment714, Apr 8, 2014.

1. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

Many here may have tried the La Toja shave stick. However, the La Toja Classic Shave Cream doesn’t seem to get the attention that it deserves on this board, so I thought that I’d supply a quick review to bring some attention to this fine product.

[​IMG]

Performance –
    At 150 ml (5.1 oz.), this is a large tube of shaving cream; and for about $10/tube in the USA, La Toja Classic is an outright bargain. This cream lathers like crazy; to the point where an almond-sized snurdle whipped up with my Vulfix badger overflowed my bowl with luxurious lather in less than 30 seconds work. The total volume of lather was easily enough to last 4 passes. La Toja Classic seems to tolerate a fair amount of water, however I did purposely push it over the top during one session, breaking it down to a soapy mess, so just be sure to add water a little at a time while building your lather. A proper build results in a lather that has an excellent balance of cushion and slickness, yet provides plenty of room for adjustment to your personal preferences. I’ve used this cream for about 6 – 8 shaves now, achieving a smooth, irritation-free shave each time. The cream leaves my skin feeling soft, smooth, and exceptionally well moisturized.

The scent is definitely masculine, although a little difficult to describe. To my untrained nose I’d say it’s mostly pipe tobacco and leather top notes, supported by spice and woodsy notes below. It is manly, but natural and classic. Overall, it is quite nice but doesn’t linger long after the shave. It’s largely agreed that all scents are subjective by nature, so YMMV.

Ratings –

Price: 10
    Cushion: 10
    Slickness: 9
    Scent: 8
    Moisturizing: 8
    Overall: 9

The La Toja Classic Shave Cream is one of the best software values that I’ve found in wet shaving to date. It’s already earned a permanent place in my shave den. I will definitely buy it again.

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Good review! :)

figment714 likes this.
  3. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Nice review.
    I really love the stick but haven't gotten around to trying the cream yet but its on the soon list.

figment714 likes this.
  4. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice review!

figment714 likes this.
  6. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

Nice review, I use it in my rotation and found it to be a pretty good cream also.

figment714 likes this.
  7. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words fellas. :)

From the thread Bobcat posted above and from some of his photos in past SoS threads, I knew that he liked the LaToja cream, but it's nice to see that others are chiming in with positive experiences as well. It's a great performer, and that price at Italian Barber makes it a steal. IMHO

Bobcat likes this.
  8. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

love this cream its great stuff!

figment714 likes this.
  9. denshaver

denshaver Member

I've used it and liked it pretty much.

figment714 likes this.
  10. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

Just ordered a tube, cant wait to try this stuff.

Daytonkb and figment714 like this.
  11. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

I got my tube today, this stuff is fantastic! I was surprised at how thick and heavy my lather was, ive never felt my brush this heavy before. This stuff protects like a champ and the smell is excellent. Definitely a new staple in my den.

Bobcat, figment714 and Ceferguson like this.
  12. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

A great Shave Cream. I use it a lot and really enjoy the scent.

figment714 likes this.
  13. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I tried this for the first time this week. I bought it 3 years ago -- threw it into a Maggard's order once.

The scent is very light, but to me it just smells like a harsh detergent. It doesn't overwhelm, though. By the end of the shave you hardly notice it anymore. It performs well, but no better than Palmolive which I use a lot.

14. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

For those that like this cream. Better stock up now.

word on the street is that all La Toja shave creams are being discontinued.

Screwtape likes this.