Ladies brush

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by stonyloam, Jun 3, 2012.

1. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

OK, I am going to turn a brush handle for my nephew's wife and am wondering what the best handle shape might be? I have some ideas, but would like some input. I would like it to be distinctly feminine. Would a longer handle be better, is it important that it stand up on its own or do you lay it down between applications? How about color? Natural wood or paint? Single color or two tone? Should it float? It will have a 22mm silvertip knot. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Oh, most of the uhhh... suggestive shapes have already been considered and unfortunately rejected :(. I will try to post a photo when I get it done. Thanks!!!

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

My wife enjoys the handle shapes you find with Semogue wood handles. She finds them comfortable to use with her smaller sized hands. Colors are all subjective to the user really, can't go wrong with asking what she would like ;)

stonyloam likes this.
  3. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

I have several different types of handles. My go-to brush is my Omega Pro Boar. I like the longer handle because it makes it easier to whip up my soap/cream in my mug. But, I do have smaller handles as well that I use in my rotation.

Floating would 't matter to me since I only shave in the shower. Color preference is pretty specific to the person. I have a green Ever Ready re-knot, a butterscotch re-knot, a gray Penworks, a ruby colored Omega and my Sabi ... is kind of black with brown swirls. I love them all. ;)

stonyloam likes this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I don't know much about varied shapes, but I do put mine down, so I want it to be able to stand upright. And since you are using wood, make sure it is well sealed. As to color, I like natural woods, but that is a matter of preference. BTW, I think that is a wonderful gift for you to make.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. Barber Eile

Barber Eile Member

My favourite brush is my wood handled one made from pinewood from PenWorks and is slightly pear-shaped. You can see it here: http://barbereile.blogspot.ie/2010/11/shave-of-week-28th-nov-10.html
    The smooth rounded end of it fits in my palm perfectly and I can roll it about without any edges or corners digging into my hand.
    If you do use wood though be VERY careful to seal the wood thoroughly. My pinewood one ended up getting a nasty crack in it. Luckily it was repairable though.

I also have a gorgeous two-toned one that looks like this one: http://nelsons-barbershop.com/wp-content/uploads/JMN_5340.jpeg

The rounded end is smalled than the first brush I mentioned but it's nice and long and the base doesn't have any rough edges or anything.

6. stonyloam

OK time for some chips to fly. Thanks for the input!

7. Barber Eile

Barber Eile Member

Great! I can't wait to see the results!

8. stonyloam

Nothing says feminine better than a little black dress. This is a little black walnut/black badger Not quite there yet, what do you gals think?;)
    [​IMG]

Maybe something in red?

9. Shawna

LOVE it! :love029:

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That is a beauty!

11. April Dawn

April Dawn Member

These are my three brushes :)

Attached Files:

Azarius and stonyloam like this.
  12. stonyloam

Those are outstanding!:)

13. April Dawn

April Dawn Member

Thank you The 1st two are vintage, the flapper girl is a horsehair brush and the last one is a silver tipped badger in a solid lapis handle that I purchase from a seller on etsy. I also have a matching stand and razor in the lapis.

14. stonyloam

Prototype #2, not sure of the wood/silvertip but light. Not real happy with the finish yet, but that can be fixed.
    [​IMG]

15. stonyloam

OK last one (for today) spalted maple/black badger, I kinda like this one.
    [​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. Shawna

:happy096:

I like it too!

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Ooh, I like the spalted maple!

18. stonyloam

I thought I was done for the night, but thought a try at a two-tone might be fun (like Eile's), so am gluing a couple of blocks together, while the glue dries thought I would see what kind of shape would be good, so did this. Cherry whith a boar knot.
    [​IMG]

Queen of Blades, DLP and GDCarrington like this.
  19. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

Very Nice. the finish looks great.

20. Barber Eile

Barber Eile Member

Ooooooo This is my favourite. I love the rounded handle on it!

Soooo... whatcha gonna do with all the spare ones one you find the perfect one for her? :innocent