Ladies, how long do your blades last?

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by K Zollinger, Nov 15, 2013.

1. K Zollinger

K Zollinger Member

I'm still using the Dorco blades that came with my cheap shaver, and they are lasting about two shaves. This is not super surprising since I'm covering a lot of territory (Including arms, bikini area, legs of course, and unibrow) but my hair is super, super fine so I was hoping for a bit more mileage. Is this something that varies with the brand of blade, or with technique? Is it because the blades are actually touching my skin? Cartridge razors lasted longer overall but never left my skin so soft and smooth and usually resulted in razor burn, so I shaved as seldom as possible. Now I'm loving to shave, but I'm blowing through the blades in a hurry. Just wondering what your experiences have been.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

This may help ---> *click*

3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

The relatively low price of the DE blades should help to offset your lesser number of shaves per blade. You might even end up ahead with the double E...

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

As Steve pointed out blades in regards to performance and longevity are very much a "YMMV" kind of thing..My advice get a large blade sampler pack..The more blades you can try the better...Two things I looked for in a blade when I first took up "traditional" shaving were comfort and longevity(the blades needed to last a minimum of 5-7 days)...Two days doesn't sound that bad if your getting a smooth,irritation free shave, especially for a cheap Dorco blade(I dislike Dorco :happy097:)..

Some blades I've gotten good shaves and longevity out of are:
    Viking's Sword
    Astra SP
    BlueBird
    PolSilver Super Iridium
    All are well priced with the exception of the Super Iridium(your in Feather territory price wise)...
    Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you a couple of each for you to try out if you'd like...

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

No matter what brand I have tried, two shaves is my limit. After that, they get irritating. But, given that they are so cheap, I don't mind this. (Plus, as you said, the quality of the shave is so great.)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. lisa-wsc

lisa-wsc New Member

I find that I generally get 3-4 shaves from a blade. Typically I use Derbys or Sharks.

7. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I think blade life varies with both brand and technique. I tend to mildly obsess over efficiency, so tried extending blade life... for awhile. Then I decided that the effort — and sometimes pain! — of extending blade life wasn't worth the cost! I suggest that if you focus on the aspects of shaving that you enjoy most, then it gets a little easier to accept a "loss" in the blade life category. One up side of two-shaves-and-done could be finding enjoyment in trying different brands of blades.

I remember first reading here about folks noticing huge differences in their shaves by changing the razor+blade combo. At first I though "P-shaw!" Then I began experimenting. Yeppers... you start with a single DE razor and a few blades, realize that blades can make a difference, then wonder about the blade+razor combo. Next thing you know, you are in full AD mode and running out of space in the bathroom!

Hang in there, sister! Recognize that the slope is slippery, but come on over the edge. It is a fun ride! ;)