Last Restores for a While: Filamonica and Wade & Butcher

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by HolyRollah, Apr 4, 2018.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I just finished up a pair of customized (i.e. new scales) razors for fellow member Keith (@Keithmax). One was a very nice Filarmonica Novodur 13; the other a nice W&B with a subtley-etched face. Keith wasnt keen on the thin Fila scales and asked if I could create something 'beefier' in the hand. The scale material is a shapeable acrylic that comes in a broad variety of colors. I chose a translucent 'Pearl Blue' with flecks of blue and gold that paired well with the gold wash on the blade. The wedge was a made of the same material in brilliant royal blue.
    The Wade got natural-finsh camel bone scales with G10 backing. Several coatings of RenWax followed. I wanted to keep the bone 'natural looking' with some of the surface imperfections and spotting visible (vs a high-gloss almost plastic finish. They FEEL like bone.:happy088:) Wedge made of amber.
    Because of the fragility of all material used (TRUST me on this..... :angry019:), I went with Torx fasteners for the pivot end. This allows for a tight pivot end without damaging the scale material with too firm a peen.
    Both razors took very keen & silky-smooth edges of the hones (Chosera 1k bevel; Naniwa 3k >12k; vintage Escher finisher) and I have to admit, feel real nice in the hands!
    These will ship out back home across the Pacific to Keith this week!
    Thanks for your patience, Keith!

***BTW: I'll be taking a sabbatical from restorations for a while (until the Fall, probably) to allow my CTS a chance to heal a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Shojo510, Drygulch, brit and 15 others like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Excellent

You make them better than new.

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Your work is always beyond impressive!

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well done. Works of art. :happy088::happy088:

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Happy dance :happy093: now I have to wait while they make the journey across the Pacific. :transport022: sorry no icon for a slow boat.

I am very excited about the results :signs107: :smiley respect:

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. lloydrm

lloydrm Well-Known Member

Very very nice job. The contrast of the red backing looks fantastic. Very nice razors.

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Cracking Razors..Enjoy Em when they Arrive.."Slow Boat Icon"..:rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

Halvor and Keithmax like this.
  8. Keithmax

:happy102:

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Amazing work, Kevin!

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Here's a 'before' shot of the Wade & Butcher.
    Chipped and worn black horn scales; some pitting on the blade; minor hone wear along the spine.
    Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 2.34.44 PM.png

@Keithmax
    With the Filamonica, one odd thing I noticed upon removing the original scales was the pivot hole in the tang was off-center about 1/32+" south of the proper centered location.
    Normally this hole location wouldn't have any dramatic impact on the functionality of the razor or the restoration— BUT the decision to go with the Torx™ fasteners required an enlarged pivot hole (1/16") in the tang and so care had to be taken to ensure the proper diameter was made without compromising the integrity of the metal surrounding the hole.

Why go with the Torx? Since I was using rather delicate (finicky!) materials on these scales, peening pivot pins tight can be catastrophic if tightened beyond the material's 'fracture' point.
    How does one know when the fracture point is reached?

It will be immediately evident.

Tap, tap, tap....snap! Aaaaaaaaarrrgghh!
    Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 2.34.58 PM.png
    The EXACT same result happened on the bone scales a mere hour apart...:angry032::sad024:
    ...and back to Square One on both sets.

11. DaltonGang

Have you thought about putting a brass sleeve in the pivot holes, and drill the holes out a little larger, slightly. That way the pressure will be on the sleeves instead of the scales??

12. Keithmax

I like my razors pinned tight, so I prefer the Torx. :signs001: I should of thought to request them and save you the frustration of discovering the fracture point.

Jim99 and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Keithmax

I forgot just how bad the W&B looked, amazing transformation.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The question is without enough clamping force from the scales, will the pivot be/or remain tight? I understand your concept of the brass sleeve (I think) but where is the compression point to hold the pivot securely? Peened pin end against washer against the scale material against brass insert? Just curious.

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nah, Keith, I knew you liked 'em tight! :love055:
    I've had success before with traditional tight pivot peening with the exact or similar materials, so I figured why not give it a go?
    In hindsight, Torx from the start would have been faster from the get-go, but sometimes you just gotta go with what you know...until it blows up in your face...
    :angry021::D:D

Jim99, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  16. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :happy102:

Billy..:chores016:

HolyRollah and Jim99 like this.
  17. Keithmax

I have followed that strategy in the past, and I am sure I will do it again in the future.

HolyRollah and Billyfergie like this.
  18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

@HolyRollah , your work is fantastic! They are nothing short of stunning!

@Keithmax , you’re a lucky man with those razors on the way!

:happy088:

19. DaltonGang

I'm just throwing ideas out. Perhaps epoxy the brass washer into the fragile pivot area of the scales. This could add to the rigidity, and reinforce that area???

20. Keithmax

The razors have arrived. First shave with the Fili today. Happy Dance :happy093:

IMG_4766.jpg