Last year of Super Speed TTO Production?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by texbilly, May 9, 2009.

1. texbilly

texbilly New Member

I started this inquiry over in classified becasue I would love to obtain high school or college year Super Speeds, but as I dug a little more, the history gets a little murky, at least for me.

I have found at least one 1978 SS TTO auction, but does anyone know how late the SS TTOs were manufactured? Our trusty date guide questions the last year (see 1974) but I've seen a 1978. Beyond that, I don't know. Even Krumholz's book seems vague on this.

Thanks in advance for your expert help....

EDIT 1: New sources indicate SS production ended in 1986.

EDIT 2: Found 1978 SS - thanks to shavingidiot savant! Still looking for elusive 1982. ;)

2. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

At one point I owned an A4, which would be a 1980 model.

3. PeterS

PeterS Member

4. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

5. texbilly

texbilly New Member

6. Will

Will Nevermind

I have to get one of em....

7. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

So far as I know, they were available up to the mid nineties, even though the word "Super Speed" wasn't listed on the packaging. I know I personally purchased one off the shelf at CVS (Revco back then) in 1995.

8. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Could it have been a "Knack" or equivalent - long, tapered handle? Looking for the standard size, black handle w/flare tip. Thanks for the help!! :D

9. beyboo

beyboo New Member

I got a free Gillette England G1000 a month back from someone I know. Has a blue plastic handle and a wonderful TTO head which says B1. This is believe is 1981. It is a super smooth shaver and would like to know if the head is essentially the same as that of a super speed ?

10. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

No, not a Knack. It's identical to the SS's of the seventies and eighties. Standard sized handle and black plastic covering with a flare tip.

11. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Excellent, ClubmanRob! Means my quest is even more alive, although no finds yet on the '82 :(

12. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I thought 86' was the last because that is what B&B's chart says, but I just saw an 87' today.

13. texbilly

texbilly New Member

Where, Scott?