Lather bowl

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rob206, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Hey does anyone have the lather bowl from shave nation? Is it worth spending the 30 bucks? I've got that cheapo mug proaso puts out coming too.

RyX and Frijolero like this.
  2. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

In my opinion it's OK, I use my captain's choice (large ceramic) 98% of the time. You can see by the picture what I use this bowl for. [​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Redrock, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I don't have one but I recommend the humble little salsa bowl....cheap and unbreakable.
    [​IMG]

4. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I don't have the Shave Nation bowl but I do have a salsa bowl like the one above. I have 6 bowls (1 of them a scuttle) and the salsa bowl sees the least action.

I have two hand thrown bowls from Creek Road Pottery. One nests very nicely in my palm, is not too large but not too small and smooth on the inside but rough on the outside so it would 't slip out of my hands. The other is also rough on the outside but it's larger, has an indent to rest a brush and has swirls in the bottom to assist in making lather. I like them both and they see a fair amount of use.

I have two metal bowls. One is a hand hammered Turkish mug (with the handle) that is made out of copper and lined inside with tin. The dimples really help in making lather. The other is a stainless steel bowl designed by Sori Yanagi and some people call it the Aesop Bowl. Aesop sells theirs for $25. I found mine for $17. Even though there are no dimples or ridges for making lather, the finish is apparently finely lined (almost unnoticeable) and it really does work up lather well. Both of these see a fair amount of action as well.

Besides the plastic salsa bowl I also have a Crown King Travel Scuttle, made out of plastic. I thought I would use it more often than I do. I love warm lather especially in winter but I don't even think I've used it more than twice this winter, and that was probably more in the late fall. My only issue with it is it could be a little deeper.

I'd post pics but even when I resend the pics to myself via text, I continue to get error messages saying my file is too large. But you can google the Turkish and Aesop and Crown King bowls to see what they are about. I exclusively bowl lather and I finally feel I have the perfect bowls for my varied moods and I am no longer looking for new bowls. One AD down.

Frijolero, RyX and Rob206 like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My advice to you (if you’re new to wet shaving) is to go to the good will or Salvation Army and find something that fits nicely in your hand to see what works best for you. I’ve used mugs, bowls and etc for lathering and find many found items work great.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I stopped buying bowls when I got my current pair of shurbachi. They can be purchased from Amazon, or at Asian kitchen supply shops. Designed as a mortar and pestle type grater / grinder, the inner surface is textured. I like how it helps integrate soap, water, and air into great lathers. Works well with creams, soft or hard soaps, too. I had a smaller one, replaced it with a couple larger bowls that fit my hand better.
    suribachi.gif
    Suribachi from Sparrow Black.gif

7. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Those are pretty cool. Payday is Friday. I've been figuring out all day what I'm ordering Friday morning lol. Gonna need a bigger bathroom

8. brit

brit in a box

any noticeable wear on the brushes?

Frijolero, Redrock and RyX like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

None that I can tell. I rotate through 12+ brushes using boar, badger, and synthetic knots. None show signs of any adverse effects after a couple years of bowl lathering.

Frijolero, brit and Redrock like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

good to know sir, i often wondered if it damaged the brush tips over time..thank you..

11. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

There’s a lot of things that would work.

IKEA sells a small stainless steel bowl that works well. (Blanda?)

I really like the apothecary-style mug that I bought from WCS.

I use a collapsible pet food dish that I bought at Target for my travel kit.

Sometimes I use an empty Greek yogurt container.

Mostly, I use my scuttle, but I’ve used all the items mentioned above with good results.

12. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Captain's choice just got delivered today with a bottle of Thayers. They included a free stick of derby soap. Cant wait to try it all out

13. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I was at walmart an bought a large soup mug, with a finger hole in it. Works great.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.