Lather without shave?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Gardeswell, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Gardeswell

Gardeswell New Member

I just got my first shave cream, TOBS Sandalwood. It smelled so nice compared to the Sir Hare soap I had been using for the past few months (could be because I had used a brand new boar brush with it and funkified whatever it could’ve been). The thing is, I don’t find myself needing to shave often but I really enjoy the barbershop smell of the TOBS! Would it be weird if I lathered up with it occasionally and rinsed it off without shaving, just to smell good?

Ijustmissedthe50s and Lancre like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

No one here will think it's weird but I wouldn't mention it outside of a shaving forum.

You could always pick up Sandalwood scented skin food and rub it on. Geo F Trumper makes a nice product.

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I lathered up a batch of Tabula Rasa Steam Punk and left it on my face, it smelled so good. Started to burn after a while...there's lye in the saponification process. Personally, I wouldn't do it. You'll grow out of the urge. :happy088:

Ron R, Ijustmissedthe50s and Lancre like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yes.

But that's me.
    It's your lather. Enjoy it your way.

5. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Like @John Beeman said, only talk about it on shaving forums. Here we know it's weird but understand the feeling.

6. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I don't lather up but do open the container and take a good whiff now and then.

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you enjoy it, who's it hurting? At the very least, your face will be clean.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Just put a small dollop of the cream in your palm and wash your hands, most shave soaps & hand soaps are more alkaline and leaving it on your face is not a good idea for a long time period. Your skin PH level is neutral(7) and a lot of soaps are 7.5 to 9 so you will get a burning sensation IMO.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As I've never experienced a burning sensation by leaving lather on my face (I often will take what's remaining in the bowl and on the brush after my last pass and slather it on, letting it sit as I clean up), I would be more inclined to say, "you may".
    I do understand everyone's face, skin and sensitivity levels are different.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Ron R like this.