Learning metal lathe as a hobby.

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Red Rider, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

While in high school I took a few shop classes and enjoyed using the wood lathe. Decades later I mentioned to my son who works in the machine shop at his college that I would like to pursue metal lathe work.
    My secondary hobby involves coffee and lately espresso machines with some basic restoration and related aspects.
    Recently my son surprised me by setting up a crash coarse on metal lathing with a 4th year student at the college.
    This past Saturday I met a Adam the 22 year old student who kindly took me through the ropes of basic metal lathing. My goal was to make two espresso tamper bases and handles similar to the one I bought but with a tighter fit.
    Five hours later I was able to make two bases and start on the handle. Time passed quickly. Here are my tamper bases with the handle in process. The shiny one with black handle is the commercial one I own.

Poor fitting tamper I purchased online:
    [​IMG]

Base I made with "borrowed" handle:
    [​IMG]

New bases without rod\handle and handle in process:
    [​IMG]

Next Saturday is a part of a long weekend here so the college won't be open. I plan to complete this project and start on a few more the Saturday after.

Contemplating some razor handles or more if time permits.

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Pics didnt come accross

3. Red Rider

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That's pretty neat! Are you enjoying it?

Red Rider likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I see 'em okay.

Very cool!

Red Rider likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Hey, that's cool, Rob.

Red Rider likes this.
  7. Red Rider

Yes thanks, want to keep brain active by learning new things. Work life can get mundane. Something rewarding about creating something yourself also, as Jim @Jayaruh can attest to.
    Only wish it was more than once a week.

Sara-s likes this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am glad you are having fun. I have some creative hobbies too, and they do keep me sharp. Everyone needs an outlet.

Red Rider likes this.