Leather for strops

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Vlasta, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Hi - anyone tell me the name/type of leather used for strops? Any good sources?

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've heard horsehide is a good choice for strops. Maybe @Drygulch and/or @gssixgun can chime in on here for good advice.

Ron R and TestDepth like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Arnout, RyX, Paul76 and 5 others like this.
  4. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Vlasta and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I am cursed by a never ending thirst for knowledge and insatiable curiosity. If I'm interested in something, I research the hell out of it. If what I find is interesting, sometimes I'll post it on a forum.

My biggest problem these days is remembering what I posted and where I posted it. :)

Paul Turner, RyX, Paul76 and 3 others like this.
  6. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks - the strop I have is kind of very smooth suede feel - what is that called?

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I always enjoy your posts and articles.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. Keithmax

Can you post a picture?

9. Keithmax

@Drygulch is the resident expert in leather and a strop maker.

Like many things in our hobby it depends upon preference, light or fast draw, etc.

My 3 favorite strops all have different qualities.

My Dry Gulch black latigo has a medium to heavy draw and is the strop I use most often.

When I want a light fast draw I have a Tim Miller strop, but it requires extra laps compared to the black latigo.

I have a Mastro Livi loom strop and it different from any other strop I have used. I am not sure what he uses but I love the results and it require fewer laps than my others.

10. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I think I answered my own question. I went looking for a pic of my strop online (too lazy to take my own pic...) from the store where I bought it - vegetable tanned cowhide.

[​IMG]

RyX, PLANofMAN and Keithmax like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Keithmax likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

You appear to be an "EP-uh-TOME*" of lifelong learning. :). *Course that's "epitome" :).

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

@RyX , Yes, I will be adding strops to the product line, though haven't done so yet.

My view is that there isn't one 'best' leather for strops as folks have different preferences. My preference is English Bridle Leather that has been tanned and dyed without chromium salts. Rust from chromium salts occurs over time when the steel is in constant contact with chrome tanned leather, such as a razor cover or knife sheath. If not sure of the leather type in my strop, I would make sure to remove any strop residue from the blade.

I've never considered Shell Cordovan due to the cost. I prefer 3 inch strops that are longer, which would be hard to find in quality Shell Cordovan.

In considering strops, I think the material for the non-leather strop is really important. Linen or felt are traditional, though I think nylon webbing that is somewhat coarse is better, something like this:

[​IMG]

RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Have you considered hemp webbing?

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  15. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

Hemp would be interesting - and natural. That's a good idea.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

The linen portion on my vintage strop, is why it’s my daily driver. Frankly I hate the draw on synthetic strops.

Keithmax likes this.
  17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Poly webbing is cheaper and easier to seal off than natural webbing, but it has a very zippy feeling. I much prefer natural webbings. I use Hemp Linen webbing in my strops. Doesn't zip like poly, but gives a good feedback. As far as leather, pretty much any vegetable tanned cow or horsehide will work. There are some leathers (mostly made by Horween,) that have a chromium re-tan done over a vegetable tanning process. This leather has amazing feedback and draw, and I haven't noticed any bad effects in using it on my razors.

Keithmax, RezDog, SevenEighth and 3 others like this.
  18. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I have an Illinois with a material strap and horse hide strap. I have read the material side is a material used in fire hose manufacturing.

19. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Yes using fire hose seems fairly common. I have some fine quality but heavy (does that make sense?) linen that I am going to try. One of these days I will make a strop to sell.

Spyder and Keithmax like this.
  20. Keithmax

I have a firehose strop and it along with a vintage linen are my favorite strop surfaces.

Spyder likes this.