Lessons in Southern English...for all y'all!

Discussion in 'Clean Jokes' started by PottyDoctor, Feb 11, 2007.

1. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

Well, yer' in fer' a treat Jeff! They's enough of us southerners around here to help ya' brush on on yer' English....the real kind o' English....Southern English! Hey, and maybe you kin' teach us good ole' boys a French word or two? What d'ya think?

Lesson # 1 in Southern English

Y'all
    Pronunciation: 'yol
    Function: Contraction
    Ye all or you all.

All y'all
    Etymology: Intensive form of y'all
    This usage states "you all" more emphatically. For example, saying "I know y'all," would mean that one knows a group of people; saying, "I know all y'all" would mean that one knows the members of the group individually.

Now it's all y'alls turn!! :rofl

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Good start, Ron.

Now we'll go on to something them fancy linguists (as opposed to linguini, I suppose...) call "double modals."

Example: might oughta as in, "yuh might oughta get a raincoat on before yuh go out."

OR might should, which is a nicer way of saying you SHOULD do something, which might be perceived as rude (and definitely not genteel at all.)

3. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Ah, you oughter wanta as in you oughter wanta put yer galoshes on today......

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

:rofl :rofl

5. PottyDoctor

More Southern English

Fixin'

Function: Verb
    To get set, or to be on the verge. Example: We're fixin' to go cut some farwood.

Function: Noun
    Customary accompaniments. Example: We had a turkey dinner with all the fixin's.

6. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

STILL more Southern English

Like to

Meaning nearly or close to. As in, "I like to fell from that pond bank." (I nearly fell from that pond bank.) or "Dammit. Don't jump out at me like that! I like to had a stroke!" (I came close to having a stroke!)

7. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

And, I am fixin' to hurt you! :: Ack! Ya'll are reminding me of my ex! :D :D :D :D

Edit... Oh! Ron did that one already.. sorry.. lol :blush:

8. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Some body needs to start another thread on this...

Here's one... Lil' old me...

Something JoAnna says when she is trying really hard to sound innocent.... it doesn't work but we all know what she is doing.... :D

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    What? Lil' ole me? Why I's is as innoncent as can be. :o Y'all are just awful!

10. PottyDoctor

Lesson #1 in Southern English

Y'all
    Pronunciation: 'yol
    Function: Contraction
    Ye all or you all.

All y'all
    Etymology: Intensive form of y'all
    This usage states "you all" more emphatically. For example, saying "I know y'all," would mean that one knows a group of people; saying, "I know all y'all" would mean that one knows the members of the group individually.

11. PottyDoctor

More Southern English

Fixin'

Function: Verb
    To get set, or to be on the verge. Example: We're fixin' to go cut some farwood.

Function: Noun
    Customary accompaniments. Example: We had a turkey dinner with all the fixin's.

12. PottyDoctor

Move it on over!

OK, y'all...I took the hint...I started the new "Lessons in Southern English" thread over in the "Clean Jokes" aisle. And copied and pasted my two contris from here over to there.

Thanks Mama Bear for makin' such a right and proper suggestion. We wouldn't want to get the "Welcome" thread all clogged up with a bunch of edukashunal stuff.

It's y'alls resposibility to copy and paste your own over there. I can't do everything!

And, remember, use proper Southern English when postin'. :D

13. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Here we go..... :D Come on out and let's chit chat Southern Style... :D

14. fuerein

fuerein New Member

Hmm, you guys (notice this northern's lack of y'all, though my mother did have y'all in her vocab) are downright odd to me. Okay, so I was born in Charleston, SC but we moved to Idaho when I was two and then to Indiana when I was about 6, then moved here to Virginia about 2 years ago (DC part of Virginia though, not a bastion of Southern language or culture). As such you sound quite odd to me, after all there weren't many heavy southern accents in northern indiana.

Okay, there was the one guy I knew from deep down southern Lousianna (sp?), but his accent was so heavy I barely understood him for the first several months I knew him.

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

well, Ah reckon some of them jokes are mighty fine! :rofl :rofl

Jeff

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Not bad Jeff!

A couple more lessons, and you might just pass as a Southerner. :p

17. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Add one more language to the long list of them that Jeff speaks.... :D :D

18. PottyDoctor

And don't ferget about me...I've learned three languages just from repeatedly dining at some of east Tennessee's classiest international restaurants....Russian, Italian and Thousand Island! :D

19. PottyDoctor

More Southern English

Shore

Function: Adverb
    To be certain, firm, positive or confident; without a doubt. Example: I was shore mama had the winning lotto ticket.

Shorely

Function: Adverb
    Certainly, undoubtedly, positively. Example: You shorely can't be serious about eatin' a whole pan of mama's cornbread.

20. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Don't forget French...bleu cheese. :rofl