Let's talk about our quickest shave so far.

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Nov 30, 2015.

1. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Hello there,

So here are couple of questions for you.

• If you are setting out to travel, what gear do you usually pick?
    • Most of the times, in our travelling days, we are hard pressed for time. In such cases, what is your razor and lather of choice?
    • What routine do you usually go through to get the quickest (at least DFS) shave?
    • At expense of how much time, did you achieve your quickest DFS?
    That is it.
    Cheers!

2. engrsaks

Here are my answers

• Mach 3, Gillette foamy barbershop , Gillette fusion proglide gel and old spice AS lotion
    • Mach 3, Gillette foamy oldspice AS lotion
    • 2 minutes of warm water face hydration followed by quick application of Gillette foamy. I only go for one pass WTG and one XTG. Mach-3 and Schick quattro suit me best in such times because these both razors keep a good cost/shave ratio even with zero maintenance.
    • 2 mins of face hydration + 30 seconds of lather application + 3 mintues of shave = 5 mintues and 30 seconds. :)

Douglas Carey and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

On the road, I use whatever gear I am focusing on in that particular month. I guess I don't have a travel kit, though shave sticks and a synthetic brush is my preference. My shaves take about 6-8 minutes, regardless of location, because I do not vary anything as I travel.

Douglas Carey, tuxxdk and engrsaks like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Gear: Items that I won't cry over if they get lost. An Arko stick, a common three-piece DE razor and and basic travel brush. I'd never bring say a Tradere or Wolfman razor but that's mostly because I' e had things go missing in the past.
    The actual shave time is the same - it would have to be a very odd trip if I couldn't afford to spend the same 15 mins or so on my morning shave.

5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

The only change I make for travel is the razor. I have a couple of Lord Racer DEs that I won't cry over if it's lost or stolen. I'm risking a brush but, well, a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do. I'm never in a hurry to shave. Ever.

Douglas Carey, engrsaks and Halvor like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I take what I use at home - I'll pick out a DE, a brush, a puck of soap and toss in a couple of blades.

As for getting a quick shave, hard pressed for time - never happens. Alarm clocks are adjustable. And if I don't have the time to enjoy my shave the way I want to enjoy it, I don't shave.

:happy088::happy088:

7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Since most time goes into prep and post, the actual razor and blade / cart is not that important for the time my shaves take.

engrsaks likes this.
  8. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Creamo rubbed on by hand without a brush and an old type with a sharp blade. One pass DFS in maybe 3 min.

engrsaks and Robyflexx like this.
  9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I don't fly much. my answer will be for a ground trip. if I were to fly, my answer would be different.
    I usually travel with a choice of two set-ups. last time I took my progress and my Berkeley Custom Shaver.
    soap commander renewal and matching a/s, c.o.bigelow.
    I used my FS Pur-tech/ whipped dog handle.
    aqua velva to go with the bigelow.
    time wasn't a consideration,I wanted to enjoy my shave.

not quite what you were looking for. sorry
    but if I were to be pressed to fly and shave in a hurry, I'd pick;
    soap face wash( whatever was available)
    Matador razor
    Anthony, logistics brushless cream.
    barbasol Pacific rush.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Douglas Carey, engrsaks and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Depends upon duration of travel/stay.

For shorter stays, travelling relatively light, I'll go for
    • my Mixed Midget brush, usually
    • whichever razor I feel like,
    • a 'blade hard pack' holding an assortment of blades, making sure always to carry with me Astras and Polsilvers,
    • a smaller tub or container, most often with cream, sometimes softer kind of soaps/croaps. Hard soaps (and those that need particular amounts of water, are hard to lather up, etc.) in small containers never work out well; poor lathering and in consequence a poor shave. Sticks is probably a good idea, though.
    • some regular aftershave balm of any kind, proraso etc.
    For longer travel, I'll likely carry with me whatever I could have used at home; bigger tubs, brushes, etc.

When going by plane, I may have to resort to my Feather cartridge razor.

When in a hurry? Never. I never get a good shave when I'm in a hurry.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

1955 Gillette tech and shave secret, I can shave with my eyes closed using shave secret and it acts as a moisturizer when I'm done no need to wash it off. In a pinch I can do a three pass shave with this in minutes. YMMV :)

Douglas Carey, engrsaks and Halvor like this.
  12. Robyflexx

+1 cremo is a great go to in a pinch or in a hurry. ;)

Douglas Carey likes this.
  13. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Had never heard of this. Entered shavesecret.com in my browser. Lo and behold. Comparing your statement re the oil to the design of that web page, I'd have to say they're a whole lot better at making the oil than doing html or whatever coding language they're using ;) Looks like a "TV Shop" thing.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  14. Robyflexx

I agree it looks very gimmickie and very much like one of those "but wait if you call within" infomercials but I saw it at wally world and took a chance on it and the stuff is unreal. If your in a hurry or not it's magic. Does clog the razor but I always have a toothbrush with me to clean it anyway.

engrsaks and Halvor like this.
  15. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Since were talking about travel razors and less packing.
    Razor - Lord Premium or Moreville Solingen (medium razors I prefer these shimmed)
    Pre Soap clean - Betadine clay soap pre-shave wash. Removes dirty and oils. Cleans surface for surgery.
    Cream - Alba clear cream brush-less application. Finger / hand work in.
    I take my time during the shave, using a blade on my face after all.
    Post Soap clean - Betadine clay soap again. Cleans any residue left on face without drying and tones skin.
    Cold water splash. I don't do well with scented aftershaves.
    Not fancy. Keeps packing down to a minimum.

The absolute speedy safe shave would be an electric razor. That would depend if were talking about wet shaving or just a quick shave. Not really a fan of dry shaving, don't like the heat but have used it for fast touch ups or missed spots ie. under nose after experimenting with GEM SE.

Creamy Clay soap ingredients : Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Palm Kernel Acid, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Bentonite Clay, Brown Iron Oxide Colour, Parfum (Clove*, Cedarwood*, Patchouli*, Orange*)
    *essential oils

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  16. engrsaks

Why that is interesting to read. I hope someday I will be able to have the same approach towards shaving as you do. :)

Douglas Carey and Robyflexx like this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just the way I do it. Doesn't make it right. As I say, "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way." :cool:

18. engrsaks

OK so I broke my own record. The total shave time is now reduced to 4 minutes and 30 seconds.

2 minutes of face hydration + 30 seconds of lather application + 2 minutes of shave = 4 min and 30 sec

Thanks to following non-foaming shave gels (my recent acquisitions). :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Douglas Carey and Robyflexx like this.
  19. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

Arko shave stick, 4 piece travel safety razor, small travel brush. 2 passes only.

20. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Ground travel: Somerset Shaving Oil, Schick Krona, Personna Lab or SuperMax Titanium blades, an aftershave.

Air travel: Somerset Shaving Oil, Bic Disposable, an aftershave.