Let's talk about our quickest shave so far.

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Pffft...shave in the shower, you'll cut that time to 75 seconds.

Douglas Carey, engrsaks and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy097:

Douglas Carey and engrsaks like this.
  3. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

LOL!. I wish I could follow your advice but I never shower in a hurry (shower takes at least 15 mins). So, it won't do me any good. I appreciate your suggestion though. :)

Douglas Carey and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

If pressed for time i just grab whatever razor is loaded up already

Barborsal, or dove shave or even just apply a dab of c.o. bigalow to a brush and lather it in real quick

I can get a two pass shave like this in just a few minutes...

If im really short of time ill do this shave in the shower.

Douglas Carey, engrsaks and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

I just took a trip this weekend. I used a modified setup of my normal routine. Instead of brush lathering my DRH sandalwood and using a Mach3 on my AoS handle, I applied DRH sandalwood brushless and used a stock M3T handle. The shave wasn't quite as enjoyable, but it was certainly passable.

6. engrsaks

Is it possible to use a lathering cream on face without actually lathering it with a brush? Wouldn't one experience blade clogging?

Douglas Carey and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Jerry-built Hustler

It's totally possible to use a lathering cream without a brush. Some of them even claim to be for a brush or brushless (Art of Shaving, for example). With a brush is better, but it works without. Potential for blade clogging does increase when going brushless, yes, but it isn't horrible.

FYI, one way I deal with blade clogging is to run a sink of water and swish the razor back and forth in the standing water. This does a better job of unclogging the blades than running it under the tap, because the "pressure" of the swishing action is more powerful than most taps (unless you've got very high water pressure).

Douglas Carey, Robyflexx and engrsaks like this.
  8. engrsaks

Why that is a new piece of information for me. I never knew that shaving creams do come with brushless option. Your tip for blade unclogging will certainly come handy when I will be residing in a western country (e.g. Canada).

9. Jerry-built Hustler

Soft creams are easy to smear on the face using your hands. It's even possible to generate a little bit of a lather, although nothing on par with a brush. The brushless "lather" tends to lie more flat and be denser than brushed lather. Personally, I prefer the cushion and glide of a good brush-generated lather.

10. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Cremo is an ultra slick brushless cream and smells great, citrusy you can also mix it with other soaps or creams if desired I love the stuff super versatile. :)

11. engrsaks

Well, I am slowly becoming accustomed to the feeling of hand applied transparent gels. Now a days, my life has become super hectic and usually I am in a rush to get my shave done. So far, I am satisfied with the results that I get with this method of face lubrication. Great plus with this method is that you don't need to go through maintenance routine after every shave (drying and oiling the blades). Also, electric shaver can be easily used without any need to rinse during the shaving session.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  12. engrsaks

There are many lathering brands I wish to give a try, but my location of residence becomes a main limiting factor.

13. Jerry-built Hustler

Why not? The blades get wet regardless of what shaving agent you use. My understanding is its the exposure to water that poses the greatest risk to the blade edge, which is why some people choose to use some kind of post-shave blade care regimen (although plenty don't).

engrsaks likes this.
  14. engrsaks

Yes, you are right, Mr. Nathan. But, I managed to get 12 shaves on a single mach-3 power blade without any aftershave maintenance. I am not sure on what helped me get 4 more shaves than I usually do. I do dry my blades immediately after the shave using a toilet paper (not using hair dryer any more) but I am no longer oiling my blades and so far, everything seems to be fine. If the number of shaves on proglide are reduced with my current approach, I will happily switch to mach-3 on permanent basis.

15. Jerry-built Hustler

For whatever it's worth, the M3 has been my go-to cartridge for the last several weeks. I haven't even been tempted to switch it up with anything else.

engrsaks likes this.
  16. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

You know what's crazy. I used to be one of the worst victims to big shave advertising. My father always tried to get me to use the M3. But I always refused and said I could only shave with 4-5 blade razors because it helped with irritation. And here I am using 1 blade! With a closer, and more comfortable shave than ever.

engrsaks likes this.
  17. engrsaks

Indeed, M3 provides a very good balance between price, mileage and comfort. It may not be super comfortable as proglide, but it still delivers a shave which can easily be ranked as highly comfortable. Today will be my fifth quick shave with proglide (using transparent gel as lather). After getting 12 shaves on a M3 cart, somehow, the proglide seems like a much less feasible and unnecessary option. :(

18. engrsaks

To be honest, I can't get quick shaves with a one bladed DE razor. It is good for those detailed slow shaving routine, but, whenever I try to shave with it in a hurry, I get razor bumps and lots of irritation.

19. Jerry-built Hustler

For me, the M3 shaves more comfortably than the ProGlide, so it's a no-brainer decision for me. It's a bummer, though, when you have to compromise comfort in the name of economy. I like Gillette products, but their pricing is pretty out of court. You know it's bad when the price of the M3 seems "economical."

engrsaks likes this.
  20. Jerry-built Hustler

Likewise. My DE shaves take me probably three times as long to complete as my cart shaves. If I'm really careful and take my time, I might be able to get a shave that is as close and comfortable as what I can get with a M3.

engrsaks likes this.