Levels of sanitizing a razor

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Epimetheus, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Sometimes I read a vintage razor has been "sanitized". Sanitizing is removing a large percentage of bacteria, not all of them. I think that is good enough for razor heads and handles.

It is accurate to say the razor has been sanitized if it was soaked in alcohol or Scrubbing Bubbles (quaternary ammonia compound) or a commercial solution like Barbicide (has both alcohol and quat) .

Higher methods of sanitizing move on to autoclaves. That is sterilization, killing all bacteria as far as possible.

This link defines the requirements for commercial barbers in Ottowa. Other areas are similar. They have to autoclave the razor heads and handles. Individuals can do what they like.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. Kamen Tenshi

Kamen Tenshi Going #1

Barbosol aftershave used for sanitizing? Or are you referring to a different product?

3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Not to speak for the OP but I'm guessing he meant Barbacide.

Joef likes this.
  4. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Yes. original post corrected,

cmorris357 and Joef like this.
  5. Kamen Tenshi

Kamen Tenshi Going #1

That would make more sense.

cmorris357 and Joef like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

most of the vintage razors I've bought in the wild have not seen use in years, sometimes decades. any germs living on these have long since died of old age.
    it's a metal object designed to hold a new, clean, sterile blade. while I would recommend a good scrubbing for any object held so closed to your face. I wouldn't get all operating room about this. I'm quite sure most people expose themselves to much worse, and that's just in the course of everyday life.
    I really don't want a barber using any of his razors(facial shaving) on me anyway. I take care of that at home.

Omaney likes this.