LF Atra handle identification help

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Darkbulb, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well, someone has to :D

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Yeah..If it was a Schick..Not Up on these Models..:)

Billy..:chores016:

billdog2 and Darkbulb like this.
  3. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

I have the exact same handle as Darkbulb `s x 3. But mine says 2 H. Go figure. 1977 sounds about right. I think that was pretty close to when my tremors started, is why I bought a flex head.

Bill

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. billdog2

Hi Billy, glad to hear from you again.

Bill

5. LSUfanBR

LSUfanBR Well-Known Member

I just scored a Gillette Atra Elite off of eBay. It has not arrived yet but I am looking forward to adding it to my collection. The seller said this one has an A15 date code.

AtraElite1.jpg

Jayaruh likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice.

LSUfanBR likes this.
  7. billdog2

I`m not sure what you need to know, so I`ll give you the history of my experience with the Gillette original handle and the "Atra" cartrudge. Somewhere in the early 70s, I developed `Essential Tremors'. So I bought the Gillette handle, which came with some Atra blades and a pivoting head. The shaves were good as the SS that I was using ( without the blood). I was buying Atra cards with 10 carts each for $4.95, everything was great until one day I went to Walmart and the exact product was now priced at $16.95 (blew me away). I searched around and finally found the Personna injector with a flex head. Solved my problems. OK, now the Atra setup you just bought, looks like an improvement over my old handle. I can`t speak to the carts until I use them or you explain what kind of shaves you are getting. If they are comparable to any of your other razors, you just might have a winner (depending the initial price). To me, I like the looks of that handle. Good luck and God Bless, Bill

P.S. I have no idea about the date code. You might search Google.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    LSUfanBR and Jayaruh like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah, that date code is screwy. A15? Usually the letter indicates the year and the number the quarter of manufacture. I always thought a year only had four quarters. A is 1980 though.

9. billdog2

Mine has a 2 on the left side and an H on the right. I would have sworn I bought mine in the mid seventies, but I`m just going by memory, which is pretty well shot. The one that LSUfanBR has in his foto looks like it might be an upgrade, a lot prettier than mine. Looks like to me that the 2 little "hooks" are larger than mine, not sure. Not going to pay $20,00 for 5 carts. Almost all my blades are around 7 to 10 cents apiece. A skin flint I are. Well, happy shaving, God bless, Bill

LSUfanBR likes this.
  10. LSUfanBR

LSUfanBR Well-Known Member

The A15 was in the description so I'm not sure if it was a date code but it is an Atra Elite with a 24kt gold plated head and a treated wooden handle. Honestly the Dollar Shave Club Humble Twin carts work well with the Atra. I have been using an all metal Atra for the last 2 years.