LF info about a Wilkinson Royale

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Picked up an unused/mint, in case w/ all blades Wilkinson Royale razor.
    I think it's designed by Kenneth Grange (at least I hope so..) who also did the Sticky amongst other things - and all I've been able to find out is that it was available around 1979-1981 or so.
    For some reason it was really hard to find good information about this razor.

If anyone has any more tidbits about this razor - and/or can correct any of the above please let me know :)

Here's the one I got:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found a site that shows the razor design framed in a picture:
    [​IMG]

2. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club :)

[​IMG]

Billyfergie and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I think I had one of these back in the early 80's.

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Oh no way :)
    Even a gold one!

Mine is still a day from getting here. How come you collect Royales (or do you collect Wilkinson in general) - and, of course, do you like using them? :)

I think they are designed by Grange but couldn't find any concrete info anywhere.

Looking forward to checking mine out in person tomorrow...

5. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I collect all razors and usually have many duplication's. I am fond of the Royale/Profile. My Profile Mk3 collection with some Royales/WII's in the mix:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A revised Profile for the Private Label market.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That is very impressive!

So is it safe to say that the Royale was about 1980-81 and didn't compete directly with the Profiles at the same time?

7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

My 1400+ Trac II/Atra/Super II/Profile cart hoard is more impressive or scary?

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I don't think I can think of the right word to use :D

9. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The Profiles (Mk1) of 1979:

[​IMG]

The revised Profile Mk3 was launched in 1986

[​IMG]

The Royale is from 1979. The Contact/Profile Mk2 can be seen here in dark red/white/silver. I have never seen it anywhere else apart from a possible advert.

Billyfergie, Darkbulb and dscaver like this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I found this trademark filing for Wikinson Royale registered in 1982 (filed in 1981). I assume that could be for the US market?
    Link: http://www.trademarkia.com/royale-73292460.html

11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I am going for 1979 by the above. I have seen the trademark details, but they maybe German off the top of my head. I have seen the US adverts in magazines on Google books from 1981. I imagine it was a limited production so agree with your date range above of 79 to 81.

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

And just to add, as shown above, in Europe it was the Profile Royale as can be seen on the packaging in my photo. Only in North America was it just the Royale. As the Profile was branded as the Silver Sword/Silver Sword II as in another photo I have posted above.

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Looks like I have the US version on its way to me. :)
    Thanks for all the info and photos!

14. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Your'e welcome. Someone needs to create a cartridge razor list similar to the Schick injector one on various sites...

Darkbulb likes this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm pretty sure you could contribute photos of every single model :D

16. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The Gillette Atra Elite was $12.50 plus $1.50 shipping in 1979. The Royale advert below was from 1981. With inflation the Royale is $57.76 and the Atra is $46.02. The Royale came with 25 carts, a years supply!

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN and Darkbulb like this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Man, that was an expensive razor back then.
    Supposedly mine is out for delivery today so hoping to see it in person tonight :)

18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Yeah that was a lot of money back then in the Old Thatcher/Reagan days....:chores016:

Billy

Darkbulb likes this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The Iron Lady and The Cowboy :)

Update: apparently it is now in my mailbox. i guess I WILL see it in person tonight :D

Billyfergie likes this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Received the Wilkinson Royale today and it's in top condition. Doesn't seem to have been used so the "near-mint' description was actually accurate for once [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has a very nice weight to it and I really like the rather slender design by K. Grange.
    [​IMG]

I know it's a cartridge razor so I'm dangerously close to crossing over into a dark and treacherous world...but still, I really love how it looks and I can't wait to see how it actually shaves :)
    [​IMG]

Sabre and Billyfergie like this.