LF info about a Wilkinson Royale

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Looks good! Mine have been mint, or maybe used once or twice. You can usually tell by how many carts are missing...

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm actually thinking I will keep the original blades untouched and just pick up some other blade(s) to try it out with

Do you btw know if the Sticky and Royale are the only razors Mr Grange designed?

3. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I am thinking the same ...

[​IMG]

gorgo2, Darkbulb and Billyfergie like this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

That's a serious Mountain of Cartridges Sir.....:signs021:

Billy

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ah yes, the fine line between collecting and hoarding....I walk it every day :)

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Since that photo I have bought/ordered another 200, as I obliviously need more. Okay I need help...

Darkbulb likes this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

@Sabre Dumb question - will the Royale take regular, Atra blades as well?

8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I wouldn't have guessed that Sir..:happy102:

Billy..:chores016:.

Darkbulb likes this.
  9. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The Royale will take Atra/Contour/Slalom/Vector, Schick Ultrex/Ultra/Pivot (sold as Wilkinson Sword Twin II Plus in the USA) and Wilkinson Sword Profile/Ultra Glide/Pivot/Contact carts...

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great thanks! I got some Atra blades now which means I can finally try this handle out this week.

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Only took me three months...but this morning I finally had my maiden-shave with the Royale.

Loaded it up with a vintage, NOS Atra cartridge and headed off to the bathroom.
    First thing I noticed is how extremely comfortable the handle is. The weight, length and even the rubberized handle all comes together very nicely.
    The shave also went very well and after two passes as I was as smooth shaven as I could ever have ask.

That Grange guy sure knew what he was doing :)

[​IMG]

12. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

Great looking razor. How hard are these to find? I looked on the 'Bay, and couldn't find a one.

What is the material on the underside of the head? Is that actual metal, or metal-tone plastic?

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

There's a guy that sells NOS ones for BIN $50 (same guy I bought mine from) - his last listing ended just yesterday and was not sold.
    PM me if you're interested and I can pass you his ebay id.

His listings are the only ones I've seen in a long time - and the only NOS ones I've ever seen (they are, after all about 35 years old) :)

I'm not 100% certain, maybe @Sabre can chime in. but mine appears to be solid metal everywhere apart from the release knob and the 'black grippy' area that are in hard/firm plastic.

Billyfergie likes this.
  14. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Nathan, check out the Royale thread. These were manufactured in 1979 only, they were later the inspiration for the 1986 Profile Mk3. The later profiles were plastic, and then aluminum. I believe the Royale is Nickel...

Billyfergie likes this.
  15. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

You didn't message me :(

16. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Ah, this is the Royale thread ;). I thought it was the cartridge appreciation thread...

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Lol, I thought maybe already having 10 would be enough for you :D
    He might well have a few left in stock though....

Billyfergie likes this.
  18. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

You are not mistaking a handmade Royale for a massed produced plastic Profile?

19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I have no idea if it's handmade or not but no, this is a rather heavy metal one - so are, I believe, the others he is selling as well.

20. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I just read the advert I posted on page 1, it's made out of Zinc.

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.