Limburger Cheese

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Straight Arrow, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Who else loves limburger cheese? I just enjoyed a hearty snack. A healthy slice of limburger on a slice of pumpernickel topped with a slice of onion and washed down with a cold lager. It doesn't get much better than that.

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

:eatdrink020: Yum.. you make it sound so appealing Straight Arrow..so healthy..so hearty ..:p

3. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

:drool:
    :bounce015::eatdrink020: It is a classic that I just love!!!!!!:love029:

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've never had limburger, does it really stink like I've always heard, and what does it compare to taste wise?

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I've only had limburger once - on a roast beef sandwich. Marble rye, lettuce, tomato, mustard.

It was good, though I don't know I'm as big a fan as you are.

6. Slipperyjoe

I think Limburger cheese is renowned and rightfully so, to be a distinctively pungent comestible..:D

7. OrdAvgGuy

OrdAvgGuy New Member

That kinda made my mouth water. But, when I splurge on something like that, I enjoy a little less intimacy with the wife... Sure does sound good, though...

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

My wife is out of town for a week. I'm enjoying lots of onions, garlic, etc. right now. Just find the right time for pungent goodness and all is fine.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  9. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I tried it once. that was enough.

10. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Growing up watching "The Little Rascals" I thought of Limburger was that is would smell and/or taste like something dead. Sure it is pungent, but I have had feta that smelled much worse.

I do enjoy Limburger with rare roast beef and on a nice Bavarian rye with just a touch of stone ground mustard.

11. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Limburger smells terrible. And here is why (from Wikipedia):

"Once it reaches three months, the cheese produces its notorious smell because the bacterium used to ferment Limburger cheese and many other smear-ripened cheeses[2] is Brevibacterium linens, the same one found on human skin that is partially responsible for body odor and particularly foot odor."

Amazingly enough, the taste of Limburger, although very strong, is not repulsive. It is pungent and tangy.

12. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I would very much like to try Limburger someday. They don't have it around my neck of the woods. What stores around my area did have at one point was something called "BeerKaise" cheese. Very strong pungent smell and taste. I used to put it in chili with some sweet pickle chips.

13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Limburger smells like old gym socks, but it tastes pretty good. It's flavor is quite strong, so it goes well with beer but not with wine. I like it on stone ground wheat crackers or rye crackers with a good craft brew. It is also good melted on top of a barbequed hamburger with grilled onions.

I'll have to check out the BeerKaise cheese sometime. Anything that goes well with beer must be pretty darned good.

Azarius likes this.
  14. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

I'm sorry....I can't see what the appeal of eating something that smells like old gym socks! As my brother stated, growning up we would see limburger on the little rascals....the reactions of them was enough for me to never try it! Unlike my brother, I'm huge fan of Feta

15. Slipperyjoe

You keep up all that pungent goodness..she's gonna stay out a town..lol..:transport016:

16. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

I try to be as open minded about food as I can. I have eaten a list of really strange stuff. I found Limburger and I just had to try it. My wife is usually just as adventurous as me, but she just could not get past the smell. Also, she would not get near me if I ate the cheese. So I had two servings of it and had to toss the rest out at her request.

17. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I've only had it a few times. I won't say I hate it, but I won't eat it if I'm going to be in the company of a beautiful lady.