Live In Person - My new Shavemac

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Bronco, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Don't have much time right now but some of you have been following this brushes travels along with me. It is finally here. I will post in this thread with results, more info and do a review later. I think the handle scaled down beautifully. Total height is about 4 1/4". The knot measures 23mm X 48mm. The second picture shows it next to the standard 436 model. Much more later. :D
    [vbpg]1498[/vbpg]
    [vbpg]1499[/vbpg]
    Next to my Tulip2
    [vbpg]1501[/vbpg]

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Very good looking brush....I like it

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Very nice, Steve! :happy088

Glad to see it finally arrived.

4. Padron

Padron Active Member

Looks great Steve! Congrats!! :D

5. xChris

xChris Member

Outstanding customization!

6. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

It will certainly change the lathering dynamic. I really like what you did to it.
    I'll look forward to more reading :)

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

:signs021 FABU Flattop !!

........................................................atsa vurra nice ;)

8. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

Congrats Steve, that's a great looking brush. Can't wait to hear how that knot performs. :)

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

me likey a lot!!!!!

try to show a pic from the top to see the density of the brush. I would drop some coin on this brush.

10. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

Nice brush Steve. Congrats. Now I am going to have study those pics very carefully for at least 2 to 3 days to decide whether I want a bulb-shaped or a fan-shaped '08 Custom.

(or both...:o)

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Bob,

Here are two fan brushes sided by side.

[​IMG]

Left: Rooney 22mm Style 2 Small Ivory Super Silvertip Badger Shave Brush Right: Shavemac 23mm Handmade Nickel Blue Silvertip Badger Fan Shaped Shave Brush

12. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

Thanks Rich. They have a mighty big splay. Do you find alot of cream disappearing into the brush?

13. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I don't think Steve's fan is going to do that.

14. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

No more than a bulb shape but I get better deeper coverage with this shape. Big face painters.

15. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    How firm are bernd's fan brushes? I only have one of his bulb shaped brushes.

16. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

I agree. With a 23mm knot and only 48mm of loft, I doubt you'll get much splay at all.

17. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

Interesting question, since you don't see too many shavemac fan shaped brushes. It appears that most, if not all his stock brushes are bulb-shaped. I guess we will have to await Steve's review.

18. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I know everyone is full of questions and I won't write my review until I have some experience with this brush. :D I'll just keep you informed in this thread as I go. Many of you are trying to decide which knot to put in your new custom horn handle so I'll share as much as I can. Rick, Rich and anyone else please feel free to jump in anywhere.
    Here's a shot from the top after one use as raf requested. I believe that Rick stated that you may be able to get extra stuffing though I feel this one is pretty dense.
    [vbpg]1502[/vbpg]
    Here's a shot next to the Tulip again showing the splay of the Shavemac after one use.
    [vbpg]1503[/vbpg]
    I keep comparing it next to the Simpson because many of you will be familiar with their feel and performance. The Shavemac is denser and firmer than the Simpson but everybit as soft to the touch.
    OK, I'm off to build lather and take some more pictures.

19. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Lathering

Here she is wet and ready to lather with the soap Bernd sent.
    [vbpg]1504[/vbpg]
    Ready to go, this brush holds water and lather.
    [vbpg]1505[/vbpg]
    Here's the 4th pass on my arm. Hey! I'm workin alone here! :D
    [vbpg]1506[/vbpg]
    After 4 passes there's still lather here for at least a couple of more passes.
    [vbpg]1507[/vbpg]
    Rinsed and shaken out for tomorrow.
    [vbpg]1508[/vbpg]
    You can draw your own conclusions as to what you like in a brush. This one is firm yet soft on the face. It seems easy to control and offers a completely different feel from the bulb shape. So far, I like it!

20. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

That was great. Thanks. :signs107