Llyn idwall or charnley forest?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bjoerge Brathagen, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

20160825_195740_resized.jpg
    won this stone on a auction on the bay. i thought it might be a charnley forest, i asked the seller after i won it.he thought it might be a llyn idwal.when wet it`s green in color.so what do you think, charnley forest or llyn idwal?

Billyfergie and Keithmax like this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    The CF's trend toward having a bit of Purple swirl on the stone, it is almost like their Trademark :)

It is my understanding that both are Novaculites so I am not sure if there is a huge difference in performance either way ..

3. Bjoerge Brathagen

Ok.haven't seen any purple in it.just different shades of green. Have lapped it to 1k grit and the edge feels quite similar to the edge i get from a black ark.

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I did some quick research for you and there are some that are mostly Green too,,

There are quite a few of these Stones with slight variations from the Isles :)

It really is a "Opinion" call on what each is without the old paper work or box that it came in showing the source
    There are Slates and Novaculites, that are all capable of putting a good shaving finish on a SR..

I am still waiting to see a "Proved" Green Cutler's stone :)

5. Bjoerge Brathagen

This came without a box or any document. So i quess i will never know, but it is a good stone☺ and thanks for your research☺

Billyfergie and gssixgun like this.