(Local) Beacon Bath and Bubble Soap Review (Black Amber Musk)

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by StormyWeather, Jul 21, 2019.

1. StormyWeather

StormyWeather Well-Known Member

Product weight: 4oz
    Type: Soap
    Water used: Hard (maybe very hard?)
    Scent: Black Amber Musk
    Brush: Bager Hair
    Razor: Merkur 33c (second shave)
    Blade: Astra SP
    Cost: $8 USD

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scent (8/10): I think it's pretty hard for me to give a bad scent review, because I tend to pick up soaps which have good scents to them (for me, at least.) To me this smells similar to the undertone of what you'd get in Old Spice cologne, but without the powdery-ness of the new formulation. If you took "new" old spice cologne, stripped it of all the powder smell, and a lot of the spiciness, you'd get this sweet amber musk scent underneath that I think best describes how this smells. (Which, basically just explains the name). It's also not extremely intense. If you have issues with soaps having too strong a scent / fragrance to them for your face, this is might be a good fit for you due to the faint scenting (maybe 3/10 intensity wise.)

Lather ability (6.5/10): So, I tried to bowl lather this, and I just couldn't get a good bowl later on it after loading up the brush. However, I tried to do a face lather, and had a lot more success. It had a good density face lathering for me -- which might just be due to my impatience in the bowl / being too aggressive with it compared to my face. I managed to get a pretty decent density, although it did take a little bit of work. I wouldn't call the lather on it anything mind blowing.

Slickness (6.5/10): I couldn't get a second pass of slickness in between, but it seemed plenty slick for each lathered pass. Slightly above average slickness, but definitely not the slickest thing I've tried.

Post-Shave (5/10): I didn't feel like it was overly clinging to my skin, but I did get good hydration out of it overall. Definitely left a little something, but it wasn't anything overly remarkable either.

If I had to rate this just on performance alone, it'd probably land about 6.5. Slightly above average overall.

However, given the price is pretty reasonable on it, price per amount I'm going to boost it another point for value, to 7.5. It has a nice smell to it, does a decent job face lathering, and has a small amount of post shave.

Some downsides though, to knock it back down from 7.5 to 7 for me, were that the labeling wasn't waterproof so it immediately turned to mush on the side of the container after use. The container itself is a little small lid wise as well, which makes it hard to use it as a lathering bowl. Would've liked to see 4oz in an 8oz container so there's room to work the brush a bit better.

Also, some of the other scents in the line up were too faint. The seller has about six scents overall, but the only two I was really drawn to were "Clean Water" and "Black Amber Musk" (above).

While it's not my favorite soap, I'll keep it in the rotation.

Overall (7/10)

(I spoke to the seller in store, and I was told they don't currently have a website -- but they do take orders via facebook while they get their site up. If anyone is interested.)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    brit likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

nice review sir, very cool..