Local shops or the Internet?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jbcohen, Sep 20, 2007.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

When you feel that itch to acquire wet shaving items and the items are available at a local store, what percentage of the time do you decide to get the items locally and what percentage of the time do you get the items via mail order or the internet?

I find that a lot of the time I can only get a few things locally and I am forced to go on the internet for most of what I need. However, some of the time I can get the items that I need at my local CVS, where I can get the after shave and only one brand of soap (Williams). If I decide to acquire the blades locally I will need to vastly over pay to get anything locally.

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

If I can find it locally, I like the instant gratification of being able to take it home right then and put it to use. But since starting this wet shaving thing, I have been getting a lot more mail! :D

(I moved this from "The Haul" since it wasn't about an actual purchase, and so it would get more notice! ;) )

3. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I like the local options, but for the most part internet is much easier to find the items and the prices are MUCH MUCH better.

Canadian Prices have yet to fix themselves since our dollar regained strength, so we get screwed badly on certain stuff.

I like to support local stores anyway, so that helps too.

4. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I'm pretty much local for a good 80% if my shave related purchases... non brushes that is.

For brushes, I got my hookups a phone call away.

:cool:

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Thank you sir.

Raf

6. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

I order everything online. There's almost nothing I can buy locally, except Plisson and C&E products.

7. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I've only got two things locally so far. Even though I liked the instant gratification things can be found much cheaper online and the closest location to me is about an hour (there and back) drive through hellish traffic.

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I get everything online, except for the US version of Aqua Velva, and some other drugstore aftershaves.

9. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Not much available locally around here. Sally's Beauty Supply, C and E, dept. stores, etc... I could get by...... but-
    1. I have several known AD's for which there is no known cure.
    2, Ya'll keep telling me about all of this "stuff" I just have to have!

Excuse me, I have to go order something online now. :D

10. verplankfan

verplankfan New Member

I don't have many choices when it comes to B &M near me. I used to shop at Sally's but everytime I went there they had less and less mens grooming supplies. The Sally's near me used to have 3 scents from Masters, Jerris and Osage plus a nice selection of Clubman. On my last visit they told me they only stock Master bay rum, no more Osage and only Clubman original after shave. Proraso from The Body Shop is the only local store that I purchase from now.

My barber has been my new source for supplies, what he has been doing is pooling orders from his barber supply stores so there are no shipping charges and charges the cost of the items. Just last week I oredered Osage Rub, and Stepan after shave(alpine mentol,bay rum &, 320 lotion)

11. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

If it's available locally I always buy it locally. I'm just slightly paranoid about giving too many financial details over the 'net or phone. Plus, I also like the instant gratification.

Having said that, there's just some things I can't get in Australia (easily), so I do use the 'net a bit for shaving stuff.

James.

12. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

My nearest B&M is about a 1,000 miles away, in Australia I suppose. SEA must be the worst place on earth for shaving tools/supplies. Chalk it up to genetics of local population, I guess. Supply and demand.

13. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

If I can get it locally, I get it locally, if not -> internet

14. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Is there a nationwide chain that tends to carry wet shaving products Most people in your nations capital tend to have been suckerd into the terrible cartridge shavers:

:whacky084:

:angry019

15. Will

Will Nevermind

Crabtree and Evelyn, Whole Foods, some Department stores carry wet shaving Items and if you like Van Der Hagen, Burma Shave, and Williams drugstores do too also check out some tobbacco shops, some have Col Conk. As for a DE or Straight razor, I don't know of any large chain selling them.