Locked Up Fatboy Dial

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joshua223, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Joshua223

Joshua223 Member

Just thought I would ask, but I think it will just have to be disassembled. Anyone know what would cause the dial on a Fatboy to completely lock up? A friend gave it a long soak in kroil and put it in a ultrasonic cleaner, but it is STILL stuck. Any ideas?

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I recently had one stuck badly...
    I used liberal amounts of penetrating oil, combined with pushing up and down on the bottom tray. It's more just alot of pressing and pressure in the beginning with no movement...
    Eventually you'll get a click in one direction or the other... just keep working it.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Joshua223 like this.
  3. Joshua223

Joshua223 Member

That sounds better than the "force it" suggestion I got a long time ago on another forum. I would have thought the ultrasonic cleaner and kroil would have done the job, but maybe working that tray could be what makes the difference.
    Suggest a specific oil? All I have is wd40, gun cleaner/oil, etc. Apply the oil just above the collar with the razor upright?
    Thanks for your help!

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've had a few really stuck ones. Long soaks in hot water will eventually loosen things up. It may take days of soaking though. Once you get the dial turning, you still need to make sure the baseplate can move freely. I've tried penetrating oil too and it seems to work about as fast as hot water. If you decide to go that way, don't be stingy with it. Spray it in every crevice and let it sit a day or so. If it still doesn't turn, hose it down again and let it sit another day. Once you get it all freed up, cleaning in hot soapy water should get all the penetrating oil out but that'll take some time too.

5. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    When I said liberally, I meant it. It won't hurt anything. Idr what penetrating oil brand, but wd40 will suffice.
    In the clicker, down the t-bar, up the barrel...I did it outside last time.

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Joshua223 like this.
  6. Joshua223

Joshua223 Member

Have you ever tried something like CLR Remover?

brit likes this.
  7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I haven't let a razor soak in it and I'm not sure if it would damage the plating or brass. I don't think you're dealing with hard water deposits though. It's probably built up shaving cream/soap/whisker residue.

8. Joshua223

Joshua223 Member

I think another issue it had was the TTO piece on the bottom the handle is actually loose. It will move UP and DOWN. Encountered that before?

9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Razor emporium has a service and i think its like $30? They fix, clean and polish.

Joshua223, brit, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  10. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Drop knob is an easy fix...

brit and Joshua223 like this.
  11. Joshua223

Joshua223 Member

Only Fatboy, so I don't know if it will be a daily user or not.
    I've been looking at different repair services. If I do send it in, I may as well get it replated. :)

brit likes this.