Long Term Storage

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by minderasr, Nov 30, 2007.

1. minderasr

minderasr Member

What do you guys use to protect your straights during long term storage? Coating of mineral oil perhaps? What about protecting the scales (if necessary)?

TIA

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I think I light coat of mineral oil would be fine. If you have horn scales, you just want to make sure that where you are putting the straights isn't accessible by bugs, so you won't have the nibbles you see on a lot of older straights.

You could always wrap them gently in acid-free paper and store them in a plastic bin. I'm not sure about celluloid scales. Maybe Bill can chime in here about those.

3. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

4. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Good stuff... it's cheaper here

Most of the time I don't use anything except those little pillow bags that feel like they have salt or something in them. They absorb moisture... I can't find the link or remember the name of the dang things. The cardboard boxes the vintage razors came in absorb the moisture as well. I would not store any razor in those plastic boxes without oil, though.

5. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Silica gel...

http://silicagelpackets.com/index.htm (not an endorsement - never heard of these guys. Info only)

6. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

If you are lucky enough to find one, you could also use a roll-up case that barbers used made of leather with loops to hold the straights in place.

7. minderasr

minderasr Member

Unfortunately I don't have any of the cardboard boxes the razors originally came in. All are loose, and currently sitting atop my dresser. At some point I'd like to have some sort of display for them, but I'm not sure what/how just yet.

Thanks to all who've responded.

8. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

There is a nice display case on Classic Shaving. Taz on SRP had some custom display racks made in a thread on SRP. HE was giving info on how much they were if you were interested in that also.

9. Kenrup

Kenrup Member

I will coat razors with Dovo Sterol oil and place in a plastic toothbrush tube. It works very well.

10. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Maybe cigar boxes? Might not be the prettiest thing, but I would think it'd get the job done.

Jordan

11. Kenrup

Kenrup Member

For me that's a great big DUH! :signs140 I have some very nice cigar boxes and the Spanish cedar would help keep the bugs out. I would even think some of the freebie humidors that Internet cigar sites sometimes give away with cigar orders would be ideal. They control the climate and look very nice too.

12. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Cigar boxes and stackable plastic bins, that's what I say too. But don't forget the silica gel packs. Not one of those razors has oil on it, by the way.

Attached Files:

13. Kenrup

Kenrup Member

OHMYGOSH!!!!!!!!!!! :1respect:1respect:1respect:1respect

I've never seen so many razors!

Okay, if you could have only one, what would it be?

14. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Are you trying to short circuit him! :eek: :eek:

15. minderasr

minderasr Member

:shocked003 Wow! So many razors!

:1respect

16. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

* prefacing the following sentence with an indignant chortle*
    That's only one of the cabinets with razors. Sheez Louise...:rolleyes:

:D

17. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I had a feeling you had more.. it just seemed to me like that amount of razors was..small.. :D

18. bg42

bg42 New Member

Dont use leather what ever you do ,it may be ok temporywith oil but long term the acid in the tannins used during manufacture cause the razors to rust (BIG TIME)
    Kind regards Peter

19. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Peter, I think the old barber cases had canvas linings. I might be mistaken.

20. 2Sharp

2Sharp New Member

Just like potato chips, one is not enough. :D

bj