Look who just got in the peppermint game

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Jerry-built Hustler, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I wonder how it compares to TOBS. AOS will have to go a long way to fill those shoes, especially given the price disparity. I might have to go by the store and grab a sample.

2. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Ummmmm... I have never tried a peppermint soap/cream. Do lathering items with similar scent, smell like a chewing gum? :scared001:

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  3. Jerry-built Hustler

TOBS peppermint cream is one of my favorites. The scent is a blend of peppermint essential oil and a subtle, underlying fragrance that makes it a little more pleasing than pure e/o, which on its own can be a bit austere. I don't find the TOBS to be like chewing gum. Some have compared it to a candy cane, but I don't really agree with that, either, since I don't find it to be a sweet scent. It's just very pleasant, but bracing at the same time. Excellent lathering, and pretty potent cooling as well. Great any time of year. Like I said, AOS will have to go a long way to match it, let alone beat it, especially given that the AOS is almost double the price of TOBS.

engrsaks likes this.
  4. engrsaks

Man... its just sad that I can't browse lathering products like you gents do. I wonder how potent cooling feels like.

5. Jerry-built Hustler

Have you never tried a mentholated product? No Aqua Velva or Skin Bracer? Proraso? Enthusiasm for menthol is a particularly fervent form of fandom among some shavers. Cooling products aren't for everyone, but if you get bitten by the bug, you'll have discovered a whole new acquisition disorder.

engrsaks likes this.
  6. engrsaks

No Sir, in lathering products, I've never tried menthol as there are none available. I do have Nivea AS balm and the numbing sensation feels good that comes with the cooling effect.

7. Jerry-built Hustler

The basic cooling sensation from menthol (which occurs naturally in peppermint oil, as well) is basically the same in lathering products as in aftershaves. If you've tried a cooling aftershave, then you essentially know what it feels like.

crackstar and engrsaks like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I wonder how those compare to Kiss my Face Mint shave cream?
    [​IMG]

engrsaks and Jerry-built Hustler like this.
  9. Jerry-built Hustler

I haven't tried KMF, but anything that can be pumped is innately going to be far less dense than TOBS. That stuff is so dense, I have to lather it like a croap. In my experience, AOS creams aren't as dense, although they still aren't suitable for pumping.

engrsaks likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

In my opinion, KMF Cool Mint might as well be menthol free, it is that "not cold."
    Lathers like a champ, gives a great shave, smells nice, just NO cooling whatsoever.

Kilgore Trout and engrsaks like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Sounds like it might be right up my alley. I like the smell of mint/menthol shave creams, but I'm not a fan of the 'freeze.'

engrsaks likes this.
  12. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

On the AOS website it says that this peppermint cream is a limited run for the holiday season. It may be worth checking out after Christmas to see if they have a sale or clearance on it.

13. Jerry-built Hustler

Good call.

14. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

I have two peppermints, both soaps. TOBS is best closely followed by TDS lanolin.

15. Jerry-built Hustler

I've not heard that TOBS makes a peppermint shaving soap, and they don't show it on their website. I also can't find it on vendor websites. Are you maybe thinking of another brand?

16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Perhaps he's thinking of TOBS Peppermint shaving cream, not soap. I have the cream, and it's a bit like Altoids. Very minty without smelling sweet.

17. Jerry-built Hustler

I wondered that, too, but he made a point of specifying he was talking about soaps. Who knows? Perhaps he will be kind enough to enlighten us.

Yes, TOBS peppermint cream is outstanding - one of my favorites.

18. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

My bad, the TOBS is cream! Sometimes my fingers don't type what I am trying to say. Would that be a finger error or a thought error???

crackstar and Kilgore Trout like this.
  19. Hobbyist

Hobbyist Member

I was at AoS last weekend and checked out the peppermint shaving cream. I think it smells really nice and has a good scent strength.

20. Jerry-built Hustler

I finally had a chance to test the new peppermint at an AOS store. Unfortunately, that was limited to applying it to the back of my hand and sniffing it, since AOS (at least this particular store) doesn't have sample containers to scoop out specimens from their testers. The ingredients list on the box revealed the only scenting agent is peppermint oil; there is no added fragrance. It smelled nice enough, and was of moderate intensity. FWIW, I don't know that I like its better than TOBS peppermint cream. Based on appearance in the tub, and from what I could tell from it on the back of my hand, the cream itself is like all other current-generation AOS creams - fairly light in consistency out of the tub, but a solid performer. The TOBS peppermint is definitely more dense. Ultimately, I passed on a purchase, since I didn't think the price was justified relative to TOBS.