Looking at purchasing a Subaru ... any thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Enrico, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Today, my wife and I are looking at getting a used vehicle; probably a Subaru and possibly a Legacy.I thought about a Forester, but the MPG and reviews seem to be better on the Legacy. Any thoughts?

RaZorBurn123 and Bobcat like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

If I were shopping for a later model used car it would be a Subaru or Mazda. Can't really go wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Enrico likes this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Reliable, hold their resale pretty well, and run forever. I give you my permission.

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

What I was driving 25 years ago (and can't remember why I sold it). One of the best engines ever.[​IMG]

Enrico likes this.
  5. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Aren’t the parts costly and hard to find if you do need repairs?

Enrico likes this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

One database I looked at had 10 year maintenance costs on average about same as Hyundai, Nissan, Mazda.50% greater than Toyota but half of BMW. Toyotas I view as cars for people who view driving as a chore. I drive a 20 year old Mercedes.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    PickledNorthern and Enrico like this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Glad to know. I have a 15 year old Nissan truck that has 245,000 miles on it and is going strong, but my mother’s 12 year old Mazda with 140,000 miles is giving her fits. I’m basically risk averse with cars- I have had so many dumped on the roadside experiences. I want to know if I maintain a car maticulusly and use the best parts( and I do) that it won’t fail me. In that vain, I’ve thought a Toyota might be right for me. But, I have also heard of people getting over 300K out of a Ford ranger.

Enrico likes this.
  8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I never knew anyone who purchased a Subaru.. until recently. I’m seeing a lot more on the road and recently a family friend and family relative purchased Subaru’s within 6months of each other and they don’t know each other. Growing up I always though Subaru’s were crappy foreign cars.. basically a crappy version of a Mercedes or bmw.. the parts hard to find and the cost to repair was the same. Toyota and Honda were the most reliable and long lasting on the road that were a great value for the money.

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Go to the Pacific Northwest, Rocky Mountain states and parts of New England and they're everywhere. The only real issue is that since Consumer Reports started rating Subaru at or near the top their second hand prices are relatively high.

Enrico and Jorvaljr like this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My wife just bought a Forester and loves it!

Herm

Enrico and jmudrick like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Been driving Foresters since 1998. THE best Subaru made (in Japan). Can't go wrong.
    BTW, I wouldn't put my wife in any other vehicle.

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

CR predicted reliability 5/5. This is why second hand prices are what they are.[​IMG]

MR41 and PickledNorthern like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I currently have a 2007 Tribeca B9 that I've owned since last October and really like it. My aunt and uncle have owned Subarus since the 70's and my in-laws have owned an Outback since 2013 (they use to be diehard GM drivers). Originally my wife was afraid of the size of the Tribeca, but now she barely lets me drive it:rolleyes005:. Presently I drive about 25 miles to work and in Buffalo, NY need something to handle unpleasant winters.
    I'm looking at a 2013 Forester or a 2012 Legacy ... neither would be terrible, but I think the Legacy would be a little better on gas.

MR41 and jmudrick like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

With your winters it sounds like a good call.

Enrico likes this.
  15. PickledNorthern

I beg to differ. Only because looks are deceiving, and I fully admit that up until very recently, Toyota has kind of kept the majority of their lineup more in the “Grandpa” looks dept. But in terms of performance, they are no slouches. With 400 horsepower and 400 pounds of torque, my Tundra feels more like driving a Chevelle than a pickup. The ten speaker stereo with the powered sub under the backseat help fuel the mood. It’s no chore to drive it, I promise.

I appreciate that Toyota has started to sleek up their offerings a bit, but considering that my wife and I have been driving solely Toyotas for nearly a decade, and have never had a non maintenance related shop bill? I’ve been sold for a long time.

wristwatchb, Enrico and MR41 like this.
  16. PickledNorthern

My parents last two cars were Outbacks. They never had a single issue, and the AWD was pretty impressive in MN winters. His trade in values were exceptional on both.

Enrico and MR41 like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Sure, duly noted, was more thinking Camry Corolla class. I owned a 96 Camry, arguably the most reliable family car ever made. It was indeed nice being able to drive all over Cambodia without ever having to worry about getting stuck. The tinbox Sportage I had later was a lot more fun though. Except the getting stuck part.

18. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

When I was still in NY, Subaru's were everywhere, very reliable.

Enrico and MR41 like this.
  19. PickledNorthern

I just hacking on you. We all know what they are.

Enrico and jmudrick like this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I would drive one of these...[​IMG]