Looking for a change

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Joe Nobles, May 4, 2018.

1. Joe Nobles

Joe Nobles Well-Known Member

Ok guys I have a desire to see what is out there in the way of soaps to improve my results. I have a medium coarse beard and somewhat sensitive skin, and like a medium to mild razor (on my '63 Slim using Rapira Platium Lux blades I shave on a setting of 3/4).

The soaps I have the most expirence with are Williams Mug Shave Soap (that's what I started with back aroumd '79), VDH Delux/ Luxury (this is what I get since I can't find Williams in the store any more) and Poraso Red (which I don't really like).

I want a soap that is a little slicker and with better lifting properties, but I really don't want to spend more than $10 or $12 before shipping.

What do any of you think?

Frijolero, Jim99 and RyX like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Within your parameters?

Arko
    Cella
    La Toja
    Proraso

I really think any or all of those are better soaps.

My serious recommendation? Don’t look at dollar amount per tub, but cents per ounce. Then go look at Stirling soap. You will never spend less money for a better soap. I promise you. Plus 1 oz samples at a couple of bucks. Dozens of scents to choose from....

Other possibilities that really turn out cheap per shave, but you might have to spend a few more pennies than the $10 -$12 you mentioned: Tabac, or Pre de Provence. Haslinger is another one that can be picked up on Amazon pretty inexpensively, and is just fantastic soap.

3. Joe Nobles

Ok well that's a good start!

RyX and PLAla like this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I say buy second hand . @Linuxguile is selling some. Or go to Italian barber dot com and look at their sale or deal of the day. Sometimes you can get a 4-5oz tub for like $5. That’s crazy cheap and the soap is good. Spend 2x and go with Stirling.

Jim99, RyX and PLAla like this.
  5. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Sterling soap co.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

preidy and PLAla like this.
  6. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    De Vergulde Hand HERE - slick and great lather, very mild non-fancy fragrance. Made for over 400 hundred years by same firm.

John Beeman, Jim99 and Jorvaljr like this.
  7. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Fine suggestions all, especially Stirling.

You can also order Williams online from Walgreen's and ship to store for free.

And while you're poking around here, be sure to check out the Shave Den Shop.

Jim99 and RyX like this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Sold out

10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I echo the Stirling suggestion. Incredible soap!

Also, I second the suggestion to buy second hand. There are buy/sell/trade threads here and on other fora. I've bought and sold lots of software on BST threads and sites.

preidy, Linuxguile, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  11. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Stirling
    Local Gent Co.
    Chiseled Face

john zeiger and Frijolero like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

:signs011:
    Keep in mind a cream is prehydrated so you are purchasing soap + water. Soft soaps and croaps like Proraso in a tub or Stirling are more concentrated. You get more shaves per ounce of soap. Far end of that scale are hard soaps - triple or more milled meaning the moisture has been pressed out. You are getting a near dry product that costs more and gives many more shaves per ounce.

Do you have a preference about veg VS tallow? Any scent oils to be avoided because of skin reactions or dislike? Consider working backwards from your cologne or aftershave scent. You know how you like to finish so start the shave with a similar scent!

14. Joe Nobles

I have no particular preference in the veg vs tallow areana, as to scents I like the old time-y barbershop scents that Old Spice and Colgate used to have, but I'm open to anything except Eucalyptus I seem to remember that there was a shave soap that had a scents similar to Wella Balsa shampoo and I liked that scent too.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

That should be an easy match. Stirling does make an Old Spice scent. I've enjoyed a sample, but haven't purchased a full tub yet. Still working four other samples with two more to try.

I have a puck of vintage Colgate shave soap, but if it had a scent it's faded.

Give this thread a day or three and other folks may chime in with more suggestions.

Frijolero likes this.
  16. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Another vote for Stirling. It is available with a few of the old time scents you referenced. I’d add Palmolive to the list given your parameters as well. Especially in Stick form. Awesome soap for the low price.

preidy, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

soap commander is very nice soap.
    The tubs last forever. I'm pretty sure they don't get in under your price line, but they have crazy longevity.

Stirling is very ice as well.

I had several pyrate cove soaps made for me a few years back , they were only 3 or 4 bucks a puck. I wasn't unhappy with those. Rose and bay rum/ginger were my faves.
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/pyrate-cove-soapworks.31749/

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Frijolero likes this.
  18. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

19. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I am the same as I use mostly williams and enjoy it but do like to try new products and scents. For me I have found Razorock products to work well for me, i like the American Barber scent, and blue barber scent in their hard soap, both lather well and have great slickness. I also have their classic version that is a croap and smells like almonds. I also keep a tub of proraso green with AS for a great cooling sensation shave, and their red which feels like a very soft soap when applied and post shave feel. I am also going to try some stirling as they have a good rep and many scents, but cant recomend them until I try them. I also have a puck of fine american blend which is almost identical to razorock american barber. Cant go wrong with proraso, and i would suggest looking at razorock and stirling as they both have a handfull of scents.

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Another scent profile. I've tried several almond, marzipan, Nobel 808 scented soaps - Cella is inexpensive, Saponificio Varesino, & my favorite is Klar Mandel with the strongest scent and quintuple milled hard soap factor. Although the aluminum tins are small by modern artisan standards the puck is old fashion Williams size. The lather treats me well, as did the other two.
    Cella.
    Especially if it has the slicker, beard lifting qualities. You'll have to try it to know how it fits your chemistry. If you like it get in on a 1kg group buy. Anyone have a particular AS or cologne they pair with almond?

Ksblazer likes this.