Looking for a Sandalwood Recommendation

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Las Medusas, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Las Medusas

Las Medusas New Member

I'm looking to get a sandalwood shave cream. I don't know why I haven't bought one before now because I really like the smell of sandalwood. Perhaps it's because I don't want to be disappointed. I was lucky enough to get a sample of the Diptyque Tam Dao fragrance a while back, and I found it addictive, so given a choice, I guess I like dry, woodsy smelling sandalwood. If you would post your recommendations, oh wise and benevolent ones, I'd appreciate it.

:happy093

Thanks,
    John

2. I like Crabtree & Evelyn

3. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

C&E is more of a sweet smelling Sandalwood to me.

For the closest in Sandalwood scent to the Tam Dao, I'd say Art of Shaving Sandalwood, or Tryphon's new Sandalwood cream.

Trumper's is a dead ringer for the C&E (at least to me). Coates is long gone now.

4. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I always liked the T&H one, but I don't know if they even sell it anymore.

Vulfix is actually a really nice cream, but doesn't really smell like real sandalwood at all.

C&E is alright... good buy.

Trumpers sucks, I hate their creams.

5. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

To echo Mike:

I’m a long time user of Vulfix Sandalwood cream; however, the smell isn’t quite what the name implies. I’m not sure how to describe the scent other than not exactly Sandalwood but pleasant none the less.

6. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

:happy102
    And here I thought I was the only one in the whole wide world that felt that way.

7. Padron

Padron Active Member

I also like Mike really like the T&H version, it is still available online from Brittish retailers..T&H in Chicago may also stock it as well. I really like the Coates version as well but it is getting hard / impossible to find...

I have never tried the C&E, TOOBS or Trumpers versions :(

I really like the scent of the C&E Sandalwood soap though :)

8. Las Medusas

Las Medusas New Member

Thank you gentlemen very much for your suggestions. I did just check Connaught Shaving and they have both the Truefitt & Hill and Vulfix sandalwoods. I'm considering the AOS sandalwood too as I like their products. Ah, decisions, decisions. :think002

John

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

I have heard very good things about the AOS Sandalwood and would really like to try that one, the other AOS creams I have tried have been excellent.

A lot of great products out there :cool:, Enjoy!

10. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

I love the AOS sandalwood myself!!!

11. msandoval858

I'll have to try the AOS. I've been off of creams for a long time and mostly a soap user. Starting to pick them back up here and there.

To me the Vulfix smells like cake batter, kind of looks like it too, lol

But it is a seriously nice cream and easy to get a good lather out of.

12. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

make your own....

buy some QED Sandalwood soap and mill it into a container filled with some KMF Unscented cream.
    Mix together and give it a good stir every day or 2.
    Should be ready for business with a cuppa weeks.

Good stuff, my man :happy088

13. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I really liked the TOBS Sandalwood, can only recommend it :)

14. Las Medusas

Las Medusas New Member

I went to the mall after work today, and I picked up some AOS Sandalwood Shave Cream. I decided to stop by the Crabtree and Evelyn store first to check out their sandalwood cream, and while the CE cream smells very nice, it is not exactly what I am looking for. The AOS sandalwood, on the other hand, is spot on. It has that dry, woodsy aroma I want. So I’ll give her whirl in the morning, and see how she drives.

Now I need a complimentary after shave to go with it. I was thinking Anherb would be nice, and I hear that GFT has a new sandalwood scented skin food. I got a hair cut before going to the mall, and my barber always uses Pinaud’s Clubman on my neck. Surprisingly, it smells very nice next to the AOS sandalwood.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I can all ready tell my sandalwood obsession is JUST beginning.

John

15. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

AOS also has an aftershave balm in sandalwood.

16. msandoval858

If you want a real sandalwood aftershave, DR Harris is it. I've never had another aftershave that has that disctinctive warm and deep wood smell that a good sandalwood should have. It's not your cheapest option ($45 100ml), but IMHO it's the best. The scent is strong enough I never wear cologne with it and it lingers well in to the later afternoon.

17. Las Medusas

Las Medusas New Member

Thank you very much Mike for your suggestion; I will definitely give the DR Harris Sandalwood a try. You describe just what I’m looking for, and I see that Enchante carries it. I’ll be placing my order very soon.

John

18. Las Medusas

Las Medusas New Member

Update on The Great Sandalwood Adventure of ’08. . .

I’ve been using the Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cream for almost a week now, and overall it’s been a good experience for me. As I stated earlier, the sandalwood scent is perfect, very dry and woodsy. This cream lathers instantly and produces a thick, long lasting foam, and for me, the whole water to cream ratio thing is non-existent with this product. This cream is incredibly slick, perhaps the slickest shave cream that I have used thus far. The only negative comment I would make, and it’s minor, is that the lather is not as cushioning and protective as I would like. It’s still acceptable, but some of the other shave creams I’ve tried, most notably Nancy Boy's and JM Fraser's, do a better job in this area.

I have on order some of the Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood and just for fun, the Vulfix Sandalwood too. I’ll report back on these soon.

John

19. jramire2

jramire2 Member

Not to be OT, but I agree as well, only exception for me is their GFT coconut cream. It works very well for me, the rest of the line gets a thumbs down.

They're soaps are unimpressive to me as well. Performance was barely par IMO and the three that I tried (lime, sandalwood, coconut) were practically unscented.

YMMV I guess

20. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

I have never tried this Mike, how does it compare next to the AOS scent? woodsier?