Looking for ac style razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jaro, Jun 15, 2019.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Kai no longer sells a folding version. About 2 years ago, they accidentally broke the mold for the folding variant, and have no plans to replace it anytime soon.

If you want a folding Kai version, you'll need to find one used (good luck) or pay though the nose to one of the few vendors who have one or two of the aluminum handled ones left in stock. The wood handled ones are somewhat cheaper and easier to find. Or buy a clone with a plastic handle.

Edison Carter, rs_776 and NCoxSTL like this.
  2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

If you find yourself interested, the 2019 Wing Sung 601 on Amazon is $19 currently. Comes with a converter as well. Has a blue jewel top and bottom which is a departure from previous years.

Edison Carter and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The way I lose pens? Oh, hell no. I'll stick with my trusty Zebra F-301's.

Edison Carter and rs_776 like this.
  4. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Exactly correct. Although the scales on it were made from two molded pieces that didn't line up properly. It had a decent edge on it though.

Are you sure you're not just talking about the Excelia? The standard folding version is still available from several sellers. On the Kai Europe website, they show all variations except the folding Excelia.
    https://www.kai-europe.com/beautycare/captainrazors.php?lang=en

Edison Carter and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It appears you are correct. The dies for the handle were broken. I misinterpreted the post to mean than the dies for the blade were broken.

Edison Carter and rs_776 like this.
  6. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I tend to take better care of my restored Esterbrooks and as a result don't misplace. I just won an auction for a circa '30's Esterbrook "Dollar" pen that might be made of a rubber type plastic. This pretty much completes my collection of interest.

Asian made pens are hard to pass up given the quality and price.

I've used the Zebra pens before and have one attached to the sun visor on the Tahoe.

Edison Carter likes this.
  7. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Edit.... I should read further before I post a reply....
    I've seen the Kai standard folders at a couple of vendors. Wasn't there a deluxe version at one point.

8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Greetings Shave Fans
    New Stuff November for me

Stirling Sheep
    WCS tall 2tone 24mm synthetic
    Symmetrical Pottery bowl
    Feather DX folder
    Feather Professional Blade (1)
    Brut Splash-On

With a measure of gratitude to those team members serving as Sponsors on the Max Headroom Procurement Advisory Board.... Without you, none of this would have been possible.

Skipped my usual dose of Proraso pre-shave for a lather up and hot towel rinse. Either of which I find a pleasant addition to my shaves.

As per my custom, I like using a Stirling mutton tallow soap for new equipment test shaves. I just haven't seen anything that can top its lather. Sheep has no scent added, but that doesn't mean unscented. For those offended by the stank of a animal fat funk, steer clear. Matter of fact, Scots Pine Sheep will be the follow up for me. I might even go Electric Sheep, but never Port-au-Prince.

For the cereal and soup bowl crowd, skip over this piece at meal time, you won't like the nooks, crannies and bumps that make it perfect for soap whippers. If you are shopping, I saw some nice revisions available, like an upwards extension on the band to hold a brush, and an available lid (handy for stinky soaps). These things are custom made so you can get what you want, but don't expect Walmart pricing.

This bowl is uuuge..... So I had to have a new tall brush to accommodate it. Besides, I needed something to get my Artist Club blade purchase into free shipping.

The Blue Ming was here to oversee the production of suds..... Flawless at that.

Long before I picked up my first straight, I longingly looked at the Feather Artist Club DX tools and walked away empty handed because of the ferocious reputation for cuts or the 'sticker shock'. Then along came a guiding light showing the lower cost path. I wanted a folder for the advantage of a built-in blade guard. Alas it was mine.

With some selection of available blades I went to tryablade.com and ordered 2 of the 'Mongoose samplers'. They have one of everything except the 'Lights'. USPS is still in motion on my delivery a couple of weeks later. Hence the need for the 'order anyhow', which also secured me that cool brush. Sorry for my impatience.

The blade loads easily and falls right in place. I was expecting to see the edge protruding somewhat more. I thought I was opening the Super Professionals which have .2 mm greater exposure, but later noticed I used the Regular Professionals.

The DX is a pleasant and capable Shaver. So far, I don't see a great advantage over my DE shavettes. Because it is machined stainless, it does have a nice heft that is closer to a real straight. I like the file jimps on the bottom of the shank and the long tang. While sizing is similar to my other edge forward tools, the pivoting point makes it the most compact of all. The compact maneuverability helps me get to my most difficult area that I continue to work on, the upper neck sides just under the jaw.

The shave was very good with a quiet alum check. Finished up with my lifetime fav Brut which before wetshaving, was the ONLY name on the Max Headroom List of Most Glorious Stanks. Nowadays, there is competition, but deep down I know that you can never go wrong with Brut.

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  9. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

There is an Excelia model, but it is no longer available in the folding version. Fixed handle only.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Edison Carter likes this.
  10. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

rs_776 and Edison Carter like this.