looking for an explanation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Alfred Newman, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Alfred Newman

Alfred Newman Member

good evening everybody, it's nice to be back! I have a question that only you educated gentleman can answer… I know this is a Gillette "New" razor when I wonder if anybody can tell me why some have a copper top and others don't, also was zero particular name for this razor besides the one that I've heard so many times over the years…"Copper top"… I hope everybody's doing well, have a great evening… Al SANY9785 (2).JPG SANY9786 (2).JPG SANY9787 (2).JPG SANY9790 (2).JPG SANY9793 (2).JPG SANY9785 (2).JPG SANY9786 (2).JPG SANY9787 (2).JPG SANY9790 (2).JPG SANY9793 (2).JPG SANY9785 (2).JPG

2. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

This one...As many, if not most I have seen has the original gold colored plating missing. It has been either worn off through years of use or someone has removed it through very fine sanding or buffing.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Yep. No such thing as a copper top. It's plating loss.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Well, there's the battery
    [​IMG]

RaZorBurn123 and Thatdonkey like this.
  5. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

Not 100% but I took a look on a few sites they are calling it a "fat handle". But I've seen other "fat handles" where the handle looks different, may be different years of course.

6. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Bar-handled New; cleaned up revealing the base material beneath the missing gold-plating: copper & brass…
    [​IMG]

8. Thatdonkey

Thatdonkey Member

That sounds better!!!

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Normally, I'd get a real charge out of that. But, that was positively jolting.

macaronus and Thatdonkey like this.
  10. Alfred Newman

Alfred Newman Member

In the same day shall the Lord shave with a razor...—Isaiah 7:20 (KJV)… that's very cool, I never heard that before… Thank you…there's another quotation that I know from the Bhagavad-Gita, a Hindu holy book… when asked to go to war by a prince on earth…Lord Krishna replied "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds".... that same quotation was used by Robert Oppenheimer, the head of the Manhattan project when the United States tested the first atom bomb. It's a shame but I think he was correct.

Concerning the razor I picked it up on eBay, very inexpensive, but it sure did shine up nicely!
    I also want to thank all the other members for their input it is very much appreciated… May God smile upon you and your families!… Al

11. Alfred Newman

Alfred Newman Member

good morning all, I want to apologize. I don't know if I'd ever thanked you! so, thank you all very, very much… Al Newman

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Your razor is a Gillette Bar Handled OC...As far as I know all Gillettes are either copper, brass or a combination of both, then are plated(nickel,chrome,gold ect.)....The ones that look like yours are all due to plating loss...These razors seem to appear more during the 20'-40's and are usually the gold plated examples, the plating was thinner and wore out sooner,(we were in the "GREAT" depression then)...These razors when polished are simply "FANTASTIC" looking...:)

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

As stated earlier, the gold plated razors used a very thin coating of gold and in addition a layer gold colored lacquer was applied to provide more protection for the gold plate. However, this combination for many of the Gillette razors of this era (not just this one) proved not to last over 50 years.

Even nickel plated units of this type can be found with plating missing and "copper tops" and handles as well.

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's one of my favorites. Another opportunity to show off my NEW. I had it replated with bright nickel.
    new_plated2.jpg

GDCarrington and macaronus like this.
  15. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Lookin' sweet!