Looking for brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by shavingisfun, Jan 28, 2022.

1. shavingisfun

shavingisfun New Member

Hi everyone i am very new to wet shaving all the help would be really appreciated.

I am looking to buy a silvertip badger shaving brush. good for face or bowl lather

feel soft to face and good backbone

price range is between $250-$350

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

My go-to is Shavemac. High quality. Mine has yet to lose a hair after many years of exclusive use.

3. shavingisfun

shavingisfun New Member

I am was looking into shavemac but was confuse which one would work for what i am looking for which one do you have

Ijustmissedthe50s and Smudge like this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Brushes are a personal thing and it takes a while to figure out what you like. I would suggest trying a few different kinds and sizes to figure out what works for you. Tastes also change over time.

A 20mm to 24mm knot will do what you need. I preferred a finest knot over silvertip as it had more backbone than a silvertip, but was still had nice tips. Brushes range from tiny to gigantic. A tiny brush works, but you would commonly have to go back to the puck. A big brush (28+ mm) is very luxurious, but will rip through soap.

I have a wood handle 22mm version of this brush and highly recommend it. Their mixed knot badger/boar knot has been my daily driver for the last 8 years.
    https://vintagescent.com/product/torga-c5-finest-mixture-jet-black/

That is a finest brush, but they also have silver tip knots in different handles as well. Semogue makes a nice brush.

Ijustmissedthe50s and kfbrady like this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Dale is correct, brushes are a personal thing, and you will get many differing opinions on what hair, loft, diameter, etc that is best.

When Google announced they were reducing the allowed storage space, I deleted a lot of emails, some of which were emails between me, and Rudy Vey, the guy that turned my handle and installed the Shavemac knot. Rudy is a member here on TSD.

From what I remember, my brush is a Shavemac extreme flat top knot in D01 two band silvertip badger and with a 21mm knot set with a 42mm loft.

It might not sound like a lot of brush at 21mm, but the flat top knot covers a lot of skin. The brush is a nice balance between soft tips and backbone, and like I said, has yet to shed a single hair.

6. shavingisfun

shavingisfun New Member

most of the people have said the same thing to find a cheaper brush so i would take that road

Semogue Finest Badger Cherry Wood Handle Shaving Brush this is 2 band now looking for a 3 band brush i could not find one in Maseto, Zenith like someone suggested any other 3 band brush that i can use to get my feet feet any suggestions thanks

7. shavingisfun

shavingisfun New Member

Parker Safety Razor Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush–Faux Horn Handle with a Chrome Base, Long Loft Dense Bristles

found this at amazon its a 3 band

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Pay attention to the name brand people are suggesting. From there, just pick one that catches your eye. As has been said, brushes are very personal. One says badger is best, another says boar, someone else says synthetic. Who you going to believe?
    Happy hunting!

9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Here is a silvertip semogue. I only linked the finest as that was the brush i had, not the silvertip.
    https://vintagescent.com/product/torga-c5-badger-silvertip-jet-black/

Edit to add. Some other brands of shaving brush to check out include simpson, vulfix, omega, shave mac, Rooney, Vie-Long, and a host of custom makers not listed. These are just a few I remember. There are many more.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  10. swarden43

Here's a suggestion...
    Given the $$$ you're willing to spend, divide that amount by three and buy:

A) Three brushes, all of the same knot material (synthetic seems to be the hot ticket for now), but of three different knot sizes, say one 20mm, one 24mm, and one too big

OR

II) Three brushes, all the same knot size (I'd suggest 24mm, then later decide if you'd like to go larger or smaller) but of three different knot material, 1 badger, 1 boar, 1 synthetic

Just some thoughts.

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

@Jayaruh here on this forum makes custom wood handles and the knots he uses are pretty good. He has alot of shaving brushes. Lol i own like 4-5 them and they are great.

12. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

$350 is a lot of money for a brush, unless you really know what you want.

In your position I'd probably buy...

A Yaqui Silvertip 24mm for $49 - https://www.westcoastshaving.com/co...a-highmountain-silvertip-badger-shaving-brush
    A Simpson T2 Synthetic 24mm for $30 - https://www.westcoastshaving.com/products/simpson-trafalgar-fibre-synthetic-shaving-brush-t2
    An Omega or Semogue boar for about $25 - https://www.westcoastshaving.com/collections/boar-and-horse-shaving-brushes

Total spend would be about $100 and I'd try them all out for at least a few months.

Only then I'd decide what I wanted to spend the other $250 on.

brit, Ron R and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  13. shavingisfun

shavingisfun New Member

thanks for all the wonderfull advice and information i am not going to buy expensive brushes i have cancel my orders of chubby 3 and duke 3 you all saved me lots of money and headache i am going to buy the brushes that @kfbrady suggested and go that route again thank you so much everyone here

14. shavingisfun

shavingisfun New Member

Omega 11126 Boar Shaving Brush, Ovangkol Wooden Handle

Simpson Trafalgar Fibre Synthetic Shaving Brush T2

Yaqi R1818 Aqua Highmountain Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush

Just got done ordering these from WCS i can't wait to try them out i am so excited lol

brit, Ron R, kfbrady and 2 others like this.
  15. swarden43

Nice!!

16. kfbrady

When you get them, and after you've used them, let us know what you think.

17. shavingisfun

shavingisfun New Member

Hello everyone today was my first shave

Simpson Trafalgar Fibre Synthetic Shaving Brush T2

Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Bowl, Grapefruit

Merkur Mk34c Double Edge Razor

Feather Double Edge Safety Razor Blades

The feather blades were aggressive for me i think it could be since i am new and i don't have the right angle but will try the badger brush and boar brush next time and try different blade. i would also spend more time on pre shave see if that helps synthetic brush was not scratchy it felt nice and the shaving cream smell felt relaxing it felt like a nice face massage. I also notice i was not letting the razor drag but some times i press hard again the skin. I used stirling barbershop scent post shave balm which helped but i did not see any cuts on my face so that was good i guess that's all for now till next time take care everyone and thanks for everyone help and support.

kfbrady and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  18. kfbrady

Feathers are super sharp and an excellent blade. I find them maybe a little aggressive for the first shave with a new Feather but that seems to burnish the edge and for the next shaves the blade becomes a lot smoother.

19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

If you like natural hair brushes I always like to soak them prior to using in warm water to make them more pliable. Boar brushes for sure should be soaked for a least 2 minutes prior to use to make them more enjoyable.

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  20. shavingisfun

shavingisfun New Member

Hi everyone my first 2 shaves were not great after i got done i had bad razor burn i did some research after the 2nd shave and i found out that it was my mistake. My first shave i tried feather blades 2nd shave i tried derby extra green colors. I also went online and read more and went back and watch youtube videos from that i learned the mistake i made i was holding the razor to tight and was press hard against my face which cause the razor burn so today i put the same derby blade from 2nd shave use stirling soap (executive man) lather it up using Simpson Trafalgar Fibre Synthetic Shaving Brush T2 i was little scared but i went slow and i let the razor do the work and wow i am so happy no razor burn it was so smooth it felt so great i even did 2nd pass and still no razor bur no cuts skin so smooth and feels so wonderful i almost forgot stirling soap executive man what a awesome scent

Ijustmissedthe50s and analog like this.