looking for my second brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by TSimons, Dec 28, 2013.

1. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

I've got some cash burning a a hole in my pocket, so I figure it's time to get a better brush. Right now i'm using an inexpensive Wilkinson sword synthetic. The brush does work, but I want to try something with a bit more quality.

I'm thinking horse hair but really have no preference as to material. Should I really be concerned about backbone and loft sizes, or just go with a reputable brand?

2. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

G'day mate, I have been agonising over which brush to buy, thinking it HAD TO be a famous brand just to get the quality. I also assumed that it was going to be expensive, however, check this out BEFORE you buy anything.
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/index.php?threads/35154/
    I don't know of your preference is for timber, metal, plastic, bone, rubber or whatever, but this one WORKS WELL and is inexpensive.
    Best of luck with your final choice.

3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I don't have a horse hair brush but have been thinking about trying one. Here are the places I've found with pretty good selections of Vie Longs.

Giftsandcare.com
    shavetools.com
    bullgooseshaving.com

4. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

Like Peter said a fantastic brush silver tip badger at a steal of a price I paid about $20.00 delivered. Only down side is it hurts like a bugger if you drop it and it lands on your toe.:sad024:

5. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

I will say that the Simpson name does carry a lot of weight! They do make some amazing brushes. Also if you find a nice vintage handle you can have it re-knotted for not too much and get exactly what you want. I love my vintages.

JRod22 likes this.
  6. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

well that didn't take long, I now have a Vie-Long 12705 in my shopping cart at Italian Barber. A few other items seem to be finding there way to my shopping cart too....

feeltheburn likes this.
  7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I'd suggest a nice Semogue 610 or 830 because I'm just bloody addicted to them, and they're affordable enough to buy a dozen for the price of a higher end badger brush LOL. I'm anxiously awaiting Joe to open back up so I can get an order @ IB going as well.

8. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Excellent choice! I've got one Vie Long horse. Love it!

9. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Nice pick up. Let us know how you like it.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Backbone,knot size,hair type and loft can all make a difference and are important to a degree...I own a couple of Vie-Longs and like them(I prefer the shorter brush to the longer barber brush)...Unfortunately when you first start out the only way to really know what works for you is to try a few different brushs...Cheap brushes are good for finding knots and lofts that you may prefer...That said my daily use brush is a #6 horse hair(?) from bestshave, that I bought mainly because it was cheap...While there is some debate on whether this brush is horse or boar and the QC at bestshave isn't always the best, my #6 works very well for me and at $5 shipped the price is hard to beat, I actually bought several, this brush will give you another loft and knot size to try for "VERY" cheap..:)

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If you go for a Vie Long my suggestion is to make sure you get unbleached hair. Bleaching does not add much to the look and slightly reduces the backbone that comes with the horse hair brush.