Looking for recommendations

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by sky pilot 83, Jan 6, 2017.

1. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

Ok so, I'm putting together wet shave starter kits. So far I'm giving cheap razorock razors or their matching baili (who manufactures the razorock razors- DE1, teck II, Quick Change) equivalents when i don't have a 60 dollar order. All of those razors are under 10 bucks. I'm giving Van Der Hagen deluxe shave soap which i get 2 pucks for 5 bucks. A variety pack of 5-7 different blades.

Now I'm stuck looking for brushes. I'm looking for really cheap shave brushes. I'm looking for brushes that are in the 5 dollar range shipped. I know I'm asking a lot. But I'm being challenged by a friend of mine to put together a complete kit of individual pieces, approximating 15 dollars.
    This is where I'm at.
    Razor, check- 7 dollars.
    Soap, check- 2.50
    (Styptic pencils are standard for the kit but are regularly used by shavers so we agreed not to count those)

So now i need a decent performing shave brush in the 5 dollar range. I ordered some el cheapo badger brushes from china via a popular auction website I'm not to happy with so i won't name.
    They were floppy, the color of the knots bled, they did not lather well AT ALL. In fact, the 2 i ordered did not even produce a shaveable lather. They were around 4 bucks a pop.

Thinking of trying one of the made in China el cheapo nylon bristle brushes that are around 4 bucks a piece, or possibly a marvy brand shave brush but i don't know anything about them.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike likes this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Carbide Mike and sky pilot 83 like this.
  3. sky pilot 83

Carbide Mike and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

5. jimjo1031

Yeah, another good choice. I think I recently saw a price for six boar brushes with plastic handles for about $18.00 shipped at virginiasheng.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. sky pilot 83

But are they any good?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. jimjo1031

I have bought some knots from there and they are nice, but not the bundle of six. Thinking those just use cheaper handles, but decent knots. But, in my opinion, if those sets you are making are for beginner wet shavers, a synthetic might be better for a first brush.

Carbide Mike and sky pilot 83 like this.
  8. sky pilot 83

I tend to agree with you. They shed a lot less. I got a brand new razorock monster and big bruce. The bruce seems a touch less dense than my monster, but the monster had 3-4 hairs pop out when i test lathered tonight on the first lather. But not since. I put each through several test lathers. They're soft, smooth, less hassle than natural hair and are true lather bombs. My favorite synthetic is the S10065 from omega. I have 3 of them lol. But i really like these new razorock monster and big bruce brushes. I know these probably won't be near that quality but these do seem like a great value. And for a starter kit... I'll give em a shot. Probably.

Carbide Mike and jimjo1031 like this.