looking to get a straight. any suggestions

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by fatkid, Dec 19, 2011.

1. fatkid

fatkid Well-Known Member

As the title says, I'm looking at getting a straight razor. I'm eye balling a gold dollar on eBay for $15 shipped. Is this a decent entry level razor to start with? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Do not get anything until you have a conversation with Glen (gssixgun) because you can get a really bad deal if you are not familiar with some of the brands and issues.
    That is my very best piece of advice!

Hanzo likes this.
  3. fatkid

fatkid Well-Known Member

Thank you sir! I will shoot him a pm.

4. newb

newb Resident Newb

No to the gold dollar. Poor QC. It's not a good entry level razor. It may be ok if your handy with a little razor restoration. With some work it can be a good razor. Let me suggest Straight razor designs if you wish a new str8. You can get a Dovo professionally honed for 79$ with a free re-honing. If looking for used I'd go with Larry at whipping dog for a good set up. Of coarse glen can hook you up too. But what ever you do stay away from the gold dollar when you start.
    Also look at Lemans at their str8's. The str8's they offer are Thiers Issard even though on the web site they don't list the brand. There are a lot of great razors out there to start with at reasonable prices, but a gold dollar isn't one of them.

battle.munky likes this.
  5. xCarbonSteelx

xCarbonSteelx Well-Known Member

Where can this be purchased from?

6. newb

newb Resident Newb

http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/

Even better, Straight razor designs is offering free lifetime honing on any new razor purchased right now. Lynn doesn't offer that special too often and the lifetime honing by Lynn is worth more than the price of the razor. Dovo's are good affordable New straights.

7. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

WOW! I have a Dovo on my wish list right now for xmas, but I think I may have to just order one for myself from Lynn to take advantage of that offer. Thanks for the heads up, newb!

8. newb

newb Resident Newb

I wish I needed another straight, A 5/8 Basic Dovo with lifetime honing from Lynn for 79 bucks. In a year the free honing will pay for the razor. I'd act quickly because this offer doesn't come around too often. The last time Lynn offered it, by the time I was ready to order all the less expensive razors were sold out.

9. xCarbonSteelx

I almost pulled the trigger and bought the Dovo. What's stopping me is that I Just spent a lot of money on my DE, blades, soaps, creams and a/s. I really enjoy the de and want to try a straight however I don't want to drop another $80. Any ideas of how I could go about this cheaply to see if I even want to get into straights?

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Find one at an antique store or flea market for $10-$15. Make sure the scales are in good shape. Send it to Glen to hone - $20. That's how I did it.

battle.munky likes this.
  11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Like Steve said above, an antique shop is probably the best way to get it done on the cheap. Next would be Larry at Whipped Dog, then Straight Razor Designs. This is based on $ initially spent, not quality or hassle. Hassle and effortlessness would probably be Straight Razor Designs IMO.

Or, I'd look into a shavette but just know it is going to be a bit different than an actual str8.

Or just wait until you get the $ saved up to give str8s the shot they deserve, It is a great way to shave and can steal you away from DEs with the right equipment. If I had to do it over again I'd have waited and gone with the $79 deal from Straight Razor Designs.

In either case, I recommend signing up over at SRP and start reading/asking. You need to learn how to buy a used straight and that place is what I consider to be the authority in str8 knowledge. Most of our str8 using members are members there as well. Pretty good crowd over there too. They have a pretty good wiki there too. Tons of knowledge to be had.

Hanzo and Williams Warrior like this.
  12. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

+1 for Larry at whippeddog.com.
    Order the sight unseen deal for $49. That's what I did and it has been great. It's a fantastic way to get into straight shaving without forking out a lot of dough.

13. xCarbonSteelx

I just purchased the Dovo. It's only money and can't take it to the grave. I think the free honing for life sold me. I want a quality straight, so I did it. I don't know how quickly I will use it, as I am intimidated by it. I think I have a lot of YouTube video watching to do. I'll check out srp.

battle.munky likes this.
  14. Howard

Howard Active Member

I would avoid a Gold Dollar.

15. newb

newb Resident Newb

It's a great deal. the free honing for life will pay for itself many times over. Enjoy. SRP is a great resource. Lot's of good people there.

16. Howard

Howard Active Member

Jump in and give it a try! You don't have to commit to doing your whole face at once. Start with the area under your sideburns as that's the easiest place to shave. The hardest places are chin and under the nose. Take short, slow strokes of maybe a 1/4" at a time so you'll see what you're doing and aren't going so fast the razor will dig in and cause blood to obscure the rest of the shave. Sharper is better with straight razors so don't let that intimidate you. Have fun!

battle.munky likes this.
  17. tobester76

tobester76 New Member

Best advice I can give as someone who has recently purchased their first open razor is to go to a traditional barbers shop that also stocks a good range of shaving products. Book in for a proper hot-towel shave, pay attention to everything the barber does and ask as many questions as you like. Then, ask to peruse the shops selection of open razors, ask one of the staff to show you the correct way to hold it and try holding a few. As someone who is new to open razor shaving, you should be looking for something that feels comfortable in your hand so that you will be able to concentrate entirely on how it moves across your face when using it. Again, keep asking questions when you are checking out the razors, a good barber will be able to answer your questions and will take pleasure in doing so.

I completely concur with Howard's comments above. Straight shaving is a whole new technique and will take a while to get the hang of. I've been using a straight for just over a week and have found that whilst I am able to shave without cutting myself, the current result is not as all-over close as with my DEs. This is to be expected as I have been using DEs for nearly a year and I am very comfortable with them. Anything worth doing is worth doing properly, and to do some things properly takes time...

18. Howard

Howard Active Member

You can take both money and straight razors to the grave. I'd make sure the razor is heavily oiled and recommend either Camellia Oil or Ballistol. Probably Ballistol for long term stability. : )

19. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

One thing you cannot escape from when you use a straight is prep and the lather needs to be spot on slick creamy you need that cushion and glide, you will get away with a good shave with a DE with inferior lathering and prep most of the time, i'm affraid to say you wont with a straight razor.

Jamie.

timj219 likes this.
  20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And therein lies the reason I use TSD soap for my str8 shaves! :)

Dridecker likes this.