Looking to purchase an Indiegogo funded tool ..... Thoughts and Opinions

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Enrico, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I saw a very interesting multitool that utilizes Indiegogo for funding. What's your thoughts, opinions and experiences.

In short is it a scam or is it trust worthy?

Thanks in advance.

:)

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

No one has purchased through it?

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I haven't used indiegogo, but I have used kickstarter. They are comparable.

Sometimes you get screwed, sometimes you don't. It just depends on how successful the creator is at getting the product made.

My experience so far is that I've gotten everything paid for, but it can take much longer than the forecasted production date. Model T razor on kickstarter, took almost two years longer than originally planned. What would have been a breakthrough razor if it had made the original production date was a has-been and latest joiner of a slew of modern adjustable razors by the time we actually got them.

Enrico likes this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

This is what I've been looking at .......

5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That looks a bit more capable than the average multi-tool.

Enrico likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

interesting................

Enrico likes this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have never purchased through a crowd funding site but personally I would have some hesitation.

IMO that also looks too big and heavy for me to carry on a regular basis.

I have been using a Wave for almost the last 20 years which has been more than enough for emergency or edc use for me.

I broke it about 5 years ago and they sent me a new one. Leatherman warranty is excellent.

Enrico likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I been using my Leatherman Ti for the past 12 years and really owes me nothing, but recently I moved from environment field work to a solo maintenance to three large buildings built in the 30's. Having an extra wrench or longer screw driver could be quite handy at times and always having a tool bag with me isn't always possible.

Course I might just really like it. ;)

:D

PanChango likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I have been thinking about this tool ever since I saw this post. It has a lot of features that would be useful in the welding trade.

Once I stopped being amazed at the variety of functions, I asked myself, "does this tool do a better job than the tools it replaces?" In every case, I had to say no.

In the Leatherman's case, it offers a very high quality and useful set of needle nose pliers and some other functional tools.

This tool feels more like a 'jack of all trades and master of none' situation. A favorite author of mine, Christopher Schwarz, wrote, "don't purchase tools that are too new." He was talking about production runs. A new tool is almost always better in it's second or third generation.

Enrico likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I’ve been mulling this over as well. The main item I like is the adjustable wrench and that they can be separated to work independently. A may get a minimalistic leather pouch for my belt and drop in a multi ended screwdriver and 6” adjustable wrench. In doing so I’ll save a hundred dollars.
    :eatdrink013:

11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    ENDERES TOOLS No. E2139 - 4-1 MINI SCREWDRIVER is the multi-ended screwdriver I would recommend. It's one of the few American made tools left that's still cheap. It was the first tool I ever purchased, at the tender age of 10. I still have it, and the bits still look nearly new, 30 years later.

I've purchased many other screwdrivers and combo drivers since then, and all far short of this humble little screwdriver. Also, mini is a relative term. It's a full-sized, if rather short screwdriver.

Enrico likes this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have one of those; in addition I was thinking of a Picquic out of Canada 7 in 1 or a Klein 11 in 1. Both built nice, but I can replace the bits with different ones easily in the Picquic.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I decided on this one ....... Picquic Super 8

I like the design ....... only wish the Super 8 came in yellow. :(

PLANofMAN likes this.