Looking to upgrade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SBlongneck, Sep 27, 2021.

1. SBlongneck

SBlongneck New Member

Just looking for some info on upgrading my current gear. I've been wet shaving now for just over 2 years. I had no idea how much I would enjoy doing it, nor the satisfaction after a great shave x2. I don't know any friends who do this, and it was all self taught. I'm still using my first safety razor which is something "sword" just from the drugstore. My preshave is the poraso as is my soap. My question is....can I get some suggestions for a decent upgrade? Or somewhere to at least start looking? Ive tried alot of blades, and my favorite is the featherlights, but open to explore if anyone has suggestions. I'm ok with spending a few extra bucks for gear, as I really enjoy the whole process in my routine, and know it'll be used every other day. Thanks in advance, and I'm glad I came across this site, as I thought I was the only one who really enjoyed a good shave...lol....

Scott

battle.munky and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Th razor I keep coming back to is the Fatip Wood open comb DE. I have tried much more expensive razors but this is my number one.

3. SBlongneck

SBlongneck New Member

Right on, I appreciate the info. I'll have a peek. Thanks.

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I really like the Mergress if you are looking for new/modern. I also really appreciate the 40s Super Speeds from Gillette if you are aiming for vintage.

LaneP and Herm2502 like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hello. Start cheap...original Gillette Super Speeds are abundant and pretty cheap if you look around eBay. Begin with that and work your way upward and outward, or stay with it if you're satisfied. Lots of guys are.

battle.munky likes this.
  6. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

All of us have a different interpretation of "mild" or even "aggressive" as what one person says is mild another may say it is aggressive to them. I have been switching over to adjustable razors so I can find the settings I like which is very mild. My current 3 adjustable razors in the order of my preference are the Rockwell 6s (started with a Rockwell 6c "coated" razor for half the cost), Gillette Fatboy, and Gillette Slim. I still do have a couple of non-adjustable DE razors but I have to shim them for the very mild shave I like. For example, a Merkur 34c is a medium aggressive razor to me so I gave it away.

battle.munky likes this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

It is hard to go wrong with any vintage Gillette DE razor. Super Speeds, NEW Long Combs, and NEW Short Combs are some of my favorites. They shave wonderfully, they are relatively inexpensive, and someone will be happy to take them off your hands if you wish to sell them later. Eventually someone in your family will find one that has been in a drawer for years and give it to you. A few years ago, I remember a guy here that dug one up in his back yard, cleaned it up, and started using it. :)

Proraso products and Feather blades are top shelf performers. However if you want some variety, Mike's Natural Soaps is worth a look. I like the Hungarian Lavender scent. Stirling Soaps are very good also. Similarly, Voskhod blades are worth a try. They shave a bit differently than Feathers. I find them to be a little smoother and more forgiving.

Have fun checking out new and different gear!

battle.munky likes this.
  8. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I tried a bunch of razors over the years and ended up with a Futur and have stuck with it. I buy the cheap Q-Shave knock-offs now because I like them better than the Merkur originals and the surface finish wears out on either one after a couple of years anyway.
    They pair best with Astra SP blades.
    Most people either love the Futurs of hate them. Some folks just never get the hang of them. Before the Q-Shaves clones came out they were on the pricy side, but now that you can get one delivered to you from Amazon in a couple of days for 15 bucks, you should give it a go.
    Also, a stiff Badger brush is a thing of beauty. I like the pure Badger, myself.

battle.munky likes this.
  9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

This is a big can of worms ripped right open! :D Prepare for a million recommendations and suggestions. This is where you learn what YMMV means! Your Mileage May Vary!
    :happy097::eatdrink047:

10. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    My opinion is get yourself an adjustable. Fatboy or Slim, and figure out your sweet spot on the scale. From there pick your poison on something dedicated to mild and another more aggressive.
    For instance, $40 Fatboy, $15 regular Superspeed and a $30 red tip Superspeed.
    You'll be all set and never buy another.
    YMMV rofl!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

battle.munky and IAmTheJody like this.
  11. SBlongneck

SBlongneck New Member

Right on guys, I really appreciate the info. I guess it just comes down to time with shaving, as it seems I'll just have to choose something and use it. If I don't like it, move on. I like the idea of adjustable, so I'll give that a go. Thanks again.

Scott

battle.munky, Eeyore and IAmTheJody like this.
  12. Ky K

Ky K Well-Known Member

I would suggest that you try a vintage Gillette Adjustable like the Slim. Widely available for $30-50 and it covers all the bases.1-9 adjustable will find the right settings for.
    Just dial and smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

battle.munky and Eeyore like this.