Low and Slow 10 Pound Pork Butt

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Redrock, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

A fun way to start 2016. I fired up the Oklahoma Joe Highland and did a long slow smoke. Apple Rub with Hickory, Apple, and Oak Woods. I'll chop and store for tomorrow. I'll also be doing a chicken tomorrow with Pecan Wood. Got the family coming in for meal.

As a side note, the Oklahoma Joe Highland is worth every penny. Once fired, I am able to peg the temperature anywhere I want it. 225/250/275/etc degrees as long as I want. I did some mode to assist with temp control and air flow.

PorkButt.JPG

baldeez88, 45auto, wmbjr and 11 others like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Looks great! I did a small 4-pound pork butt yesterday for last night's meal. I have a small side-box smoker and use a lot of pecan, hickory, oak, and fruit woods. It's a nice relaxing experience when I have the time and opportunity to smoke something. Hope it all goes well!

3. Redrock

Thanks for the compliment. Yes - relaxing and enjoyable. I am looking forward to smoking the chicken tomorrow.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  4. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Mmmm mmmm mmmm looks great

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  5. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Man - that looks good :happy088: Any leftovers?

BigCabDaddy and Redrock like this.
  6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Looks good Ed. What was your finishing internal temp on the pork?

7. Redrock

180F Degrees. Most all smoking blogs suggest 190F -200F for "melt in your mouth tender". However, I prefer 180F. It is still tender but has a little"tug" to it which I prefer. It was wonderful...had some pan sauteed cabbage and onions and a pot of black eyed peas. A little Texas Pete hot sauce. Pure dining bliss.:happy093:

BigCabDaddy, obturador and JR Reyes like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Below 200 degrees, so the water isn't boiled out. When I do mine, on a heavy big smoker, I usually smoke for 6-8 hours, then finish in the oven. My smoker works so good, it can be too Smokey. That's why I limit the smoke time. Oh, hickory or oak is used.

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Low and Slow Pork Butt

I'll take "pet names that are not endearing to swmbo" for $200, Alex. :rofl:

wmbjr, BigCabDaddy and Redrock like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nicely done!
    Nothing like a low&slow well-smoked pork shoulder/butt that is pull-apart tender. :happy088:
    Bone-in, preferred.
    :eatdrink020:

11. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I use a traeger for all my smoking...I go real low 120/140 degrees for all day on my bacon for pork butt 225 until it reaches 170 . Let stand for 20 minutes over-baking takes it to 180.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  12. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Interesting selection of wood. I just did a 10 lb shoulder myself last week. 15 hours of smoking and @190 I pulled it.. Mm mm mmmm

45auto, BigCabDaddy and Redrock like this.
  13. Redrock

Yes...I like to mix my woods. I have a buddy where it has to be Hickory only - period. The Oak and Apple impart a little "sweetness"; the Hickory gives the smokey flavor. However, with chicken it is Pecan only. When I do BabyBacks it is Cherry and Hickory. Since the Pork Butts are "forgiving" on the temp, I generally do about 275 degrees for as long as to takes to get to ~180. degrees. This gives a very tender Pork Butt with, as I said, a little "tug".

Since we are exchanging information, I prefer my Port Butts with the bone in. I tried the boneless version and it came out a dry. I also believe the bone helps to maintain the internal temp and helps with any moisture loss.
    You got my mouth watering......looks like a Pork Butt in the next few days.:happy093:

45auto and BigCabDaddy like this.
  14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Boy that meat's really hard wired in there..:pot:

Redrock and BigCabDaddy like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Speaking of smoking' pork and other goodies, there's a thread I started in June 0f 2013 that has plenty of BBQ shots, smokers, and other info….
    Click here to see BBQ & Grilled Grub

**Any broken image links are due to Photobucket's current server issues. The images should reappear once they solve their problems.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  16. Redrock

Kevin,

Thanks...I will start using your thread to post my cooking posts.

HolyRollah likes this.
  17. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm partial to this method too with one variation. I finish off in my cast iron pot with either a jar of my homemade salsa verde or about a pound of roasted hatch chilis.

My mouth just watered.

Redrock likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Local Market Basket grocery store had their pork butts on sale at $0.59/lb. I put 35 pounds in the deep freezer. Some will be stuffed with onion, garlic, and cayenne pepper. The rest becomes boudin, Cajun rice dressing sausage. Some of that I'll smoke with pecan.

Redrock and Jorvaljr like this.
  19. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Wow that's cheap !! I would have done the same
    that sounds delicious!!
    i use either hickory or apple or both .. I always get bone in and usually smoke about the same temps as you. The last two were shoulders bone in and I used them for pulled pork. Butts I like sliced..

Redrock likes this.
  20. baldeez88

baldeez88 Member

That looks so delicious!!!

Redrock likes this.