Lubricating safety razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Alex7, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Is it necessary to use oil for lubricating a safety razor?

AGHisBBS likes this.
  2. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I have never done so nor have I ever been instructed by a manufacturer to do so. However, I've heard that a drop of mineral oil on the threads or down the handle will reduce crud buildup and binding. Can't hurt but I'd avoid the strong smelling oils like WD40 and stick with mineral oil.

AGHisBBS, Herm2502 and BeShaved like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Ive used mineral oil on a TTO mechanism to make it smoother. But under normal conditions no need.

AGHisBBS, Herm2502 and BeShaved like this.
  4. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I'll lube one when I first receive it, and after a good soaking in dishwashing liquid & hot water. After that, only if it gets gummed up again.

preidy, AGHisBBS and BeShaved like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

AGHisBBS and BeShaved like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have an old can of motor weight 3 in 1 Oil that I keep just for the 1 in 20 TTOs that need a lube job. But when they need it, the stuff works, it lasts, and no odor. The current version.

'65 G-Slim, AGHisBBS and BeShaved like this.
  7. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

You can only use KY jelly

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I oil it after its soaked in hot water/dawn. Then, only as needed, with mineral oil. Rarely.

9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

If a TTO is going to sit I'll put a drop into the shaft.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  10. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I like to put a half a drop of mineral oil on the threads of my three piece razors just to be extra sure that there will be no corrosion. Necessary, no, easy to do and peace of mind, yes. I swear this is what is keeping the softer aluminum threads on my Ikon Shavecraft like new with the stainless Ikon handle.

simms623 likes this.
  11. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I'm looking at a can of 3 in1 right now. The old red can. Good stuff.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I noticed in the Amazon reviews that the red can (normal 3 in 1) contains something that over time might help accumulate grime, whereas the blue can that I have does not. Probably not a concern with razors like it would be with small motors, though.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  13. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

A little Vaseline on the threads of my 3 piece razors...

AGHisBBS likes this.
  14. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I too use a drop of mineral oil to lube my vintage adjustables. I also lube the threads of my 3 piece vintage and modern day razors.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. Freddie Jaye

Freddie Jaye Member

Thanks for the tip. I recently bought an "emergency" TTO at Sally Beauty, and the mechanism felt a bit creaky. A little 3-in-1 down the shaft last night, and the turning action is now really smooth.