"Made In Pakistan" Straight Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, May 18, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

This thread is being started, because of all the negativity floating around on forums about Straight Razors made in Pakistan.
    I think it would be interesting to hear from others, and to get comments from members about these razors, be it Positive, or Negative. Also, pics would be nice.
    Being "Thick Skulled", I have to experience things for myself. So, I Bought one of the newly made examples, that are advertised. It's a "Two Golden Man" razor. It cost around $14.
    My first impression was that the plastic scales looked about the roughest I have ever seen. The blade looked fine, until you looked at the edge. I kid you not, it looks like they set the bevel on a roadside curb. It would probably work better as a small saw, than a letter opener. But, that's the only judgement I have for not. I will save further comments until after I try to set a bevel and hone it, if it's possible.
    P5180927.JPG

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Are you sure that isn't a Chinese DoubleArrow/66? :)

3. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

Good luck honing and shaving with it. This should be a bit of an adventure. :happy088:

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I honestly would NEVER buy anything with a blade especially a straight razor from Pakistan. While I've never had a straight razor I have had several knives made in Pakistan, both folding and fixed blade, and ALL of them were terrible. Not only was the fit and finish less than stellar all the steel was just junk.:(

5. Bookworm

I have a couple of really heavy pocket knives (4+ inches) that have good steel. (80's production) The problem is that the steel they used was probably taken from car leaf springs, so it's insanely hard to get a good edge. Once you've honed them, you don't have to sharpen them again for years.

I don't think it's so much a matter of the steel from Pakistan being crap - it's that it's a crap-shoot what you'll get from any particular maker.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  6. DaltonGang

I'm in the process of trying to set a good bevel. It's difficult, because the spine is too narrow. I started with 3 layers of tape, then replaced, when worn, adding an additional layer each time. I now have 7 layers and another three might be perfect. I'm having a bugger of a time with a small portion in the center, getting an edge. My hand started to cramp, so I'm taking a break. This Pakistani razor makes honing a Russian Straight look like a breeze.

7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Do you have an angle grinder?

8. Bookworm

Try foam tape, then put electrical tape over that?

9. DaltonGang

Well, I was not getting the bevel set with the 7 layers. I then looked carefully under the 60x loupe. It showed microchipping. A few curse words later, and I thought about it.
    1. Take a hammer to it.
    2. Add three more layers of tape. So I ripped off the tape, and added 10 layers.
    I blackened the edge with a Sharpie, and did a few laps on the 1k. It now looked like a proper angle. I dulled the edge, until I could see no more microchipping under the loupe. Then I proceeded to try to set the bevel. 10 minutes later, It felt sharp. Under the 60x, there wasn't microchipping. Hmmmm, maybe It can work. So, I continued on with the 3k/8k ??? stone, the 8k 12k 15k Welsh Slates, and the SB Arkie progression. It felt super sharp, until the leather. It wasn't popping hairs like it should. I hit the Chromium Oxide lined some more, and the leather, a lot. It is now popping hairs down the entire edge.
    SOOOOO, the tell will be in the shave tonight.

Razor- "Three Gold Man", Made in Pakistan.
    Along with all the wasted tape. 2, 3, 5, 7, and 10 layers.
    P5180928.JPG

10. Bookworm

So, your recommendation for a hone progression? Bevel, main hone, etc? (layers)

11. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]

12. DaltonGang

I got 3 stroke into the shave, and the edge gave up. Not just a waste of time, but I cut my finger too. The blade extends past the scales, when closed, slightly. Just enough to get the inside crease of my index finger. Not deep, hardly noticeable, but a 1 hour bleeder.

I have it's fate already sealed.
    "Die Paki Razor Die". A slow fate only befitting the worst razors. :sick013:
    Die Paki Die.JPG

13. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

It's time to start a thread named " The worst $14 you ever spent "

15. DaltonGang

I had to find out for myself. So, all the rumors about Pakistan razors are true, not a myth. They Suck!!!
    I just hope my Paki Razor enjoys the company of the cell rot razor and scales, inside a plastic baggie.

16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

A fitting death sentence, indeed! Well played my friend :signs136:

17. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

i think we all should send our crappy razors to DaltonGang so he can execute them in his cell rot chamber:char039:

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I cannot state that I am surprised at the less-than-satisfactory results achieved with that steel. Those razors tend to hold an edge as well as wet newsprint.

19. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Which is further proof...

Friends don't let friends shave with Pakistani razors.

20. DaltonGang

I know, I know. But, if I'm advising others about how crappy a razor is, I feel better if I have first hand knowledge of how bad it really is. Plus, you guys know someone who has now honed and attempted to shave with a Pakistani Razor.