Made in the USA, a new artisan.... CarbonShaveCo. coming soon.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, May 8, 2019.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

It looks like a prewar tech mashed up with a English flat Bottom tech. Other than that I don’t see the influence from Yachts and watches from the 30-40s... lol

What he / she should of done was limit the initial run to 500 pieces. That would have created a frenzy, to those who have to have a limited issue razor, sort of like Wolfman, BBS1, and a couple of others that go north of $500 now. Then, I would of waited a month or so and created a sign up sheet for the next run and go on from there. This start up could be legendary if they just took notes from holy black, Wolfman, charcoal goods..
    I got a timeless ss, game changer with both plates , ikon with 3 plates, just picked up a timeless bronze and Rocca and I paid waaay less than retail for each. No way I would pay for these artisan razors at these prices, when others sell stainless, bronze for way cheaper.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Ditto

brit, Hembree and Frijolero like this.
  3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I wonder how much the EJ 3ONE6 is going to cost.

Hembree and Frijolero like this.
  4. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Although the head on the EJ3ONE6 doesn't look like a Muhle Rocca V3 -- I thought it might be, like the DE89 used the the R89 head -- it may be priced similar to the R96. That would put it sub $100.

Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The turtle always beats the hare.

Frijolero, BigMark83 and Hembree like this.
  6. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Exactly. Other high-end vendors have spent years building their brand image and reputation. Money doesn't grow on trees for me, so when I have the chance to buy another piece of gear, I buy something that the community at large has vetted.

Frijolero, Str8on2 and Hembree like this.
  7. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

The only vetting I need is from TSD. No, offense but I don't trust the two other big US forums. I'm sure they have some decent people though.

Frijolero, Str8on2 and Hembree like this.
  8. Preacher

lol. When I say "community at large" I'm talking about TSD. This is a site of good people with no pretentions.

9. DesertTime

So what is the general reaction to this razor -- pricing, etc? I don't use Instagram.

10. Preacher

I'm reading that the $299 price of admission is a lot for a brand new and untested razor. We will have to wait for the early adopters to see if it lives up to the hype.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  11. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

That's a lot of hype to live up to!

brit and Frijolero like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't know if I will ever buy another "new" razor. There are plenty of great vintage razors to choose from.

Boojum1, brit, Paul Turner and 3 others like this.
  13. Preacher

The issue that I see is that the newcomer is competing against established brands. If I have $299 to spend on a razor, my financial caution would lead me to look into the brands that have been around long enough that I can find reviews before I spend my money. I'm also very happy with my current small lineup.

14. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

You can even get a good buy on a used "new" razor if you are patient.

brit, Frijolero and DesertTime like this.
  15. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I'll stick with my $ 65 Ikon X3 slant and $ 80 Mercur Future for now. I'm happy with both of them.

16. Timbo2

Timbo2 Member

I wish Carbon Shaving the sincere best of luck. In the meantime I'll enjoy my 3rd owner Timeless, and pick up another $40 Cnd plate for my Karve. I believe that most new shavers like me will

brit, Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  17. DesertTime

I waited a long time before I bought a Blackland for those very same reasons. I also saw that Shane provided extraordinary service and was active in the wet shaving community. Plus, his designs are a unique blend of form and function I've come to appreciate.

18. Preacher

...and to be honest, the reviews for new product can turn out to be terrific, but for me, I want to wait until I see what the community says about a particular razor. I was interested in a Timeless razor for a long time. I read a lot of reviews before I spent my money. Overwhelming positive responses add value to a product.

Frijolero, brit and Hembree like this.
  19. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

That is what I thought when I seen the pics

Frijolero and brit like this.
  20. DesertTime

On another forum (DFS), Carbon jumped in to defend their pricing and other decisions. They provided a list of production considerations that went into building their razor to justify their pricing. I didn't quite understand their point. I would imagine other razor vendors must go through the same process using the same considerations. I didn't see how that justified their non-competitive pricing. Their design is so simple -- the handle looks like a fat exacto-knife --I don't see how it could cost more to machine than a Blackland razor -- with their unique designs -- or other high-end DE razors.

To my surprise, Shane commented, too.

BigMark83, Str8on2, Frijolero and 2 others like this.