Maggard gunmetal slant bar question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by 178-bplatoon, Feb 14, 2018.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have been using a Maggard slant for several months now and I'm wondering if any other uses have noticed the one side shaves smoother than the other? For me at least one side of the head is so smooth it almost feels like there is no blade, but the other side has a lot of blade feel and its rather harsh. As far as I can tell both sides shave with the same closeness and neither side has nicked or caused undue irritation yet. I'm just wondering if any other Maggard slant users had this same experience or is it just my razor head? Thanks in advance for any info you can pass on to me.

RyX likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm not familiar with that razor. Do both sides of the base plate look the same? The reason I ask is on my Lutz there's two different sides. The guard bars are scalloped. One side has fine (15) ridges, the other coarse (ten).
    breakdown.gif

3. blitz

blitz Member

it should be the same. check that the blade is loaded evenly.

RyX likes this.
  4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I just used mine yesterday and had a very nice shave.
    I don't own any other slant head razors for comparison but I can say with this one that I always have to be careful when loading the blade to make sure that it is even.
    It seems the slanted head either wants to put the blade off center or to turn it just slightly.