Maggard, The Golden Nib or the Whipped Dog Konts for Resto Project?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Stu929, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

So as the title says I'm looking for opinions. I have seen decent reviews for all of the above but cant seem to make s decision. All told I would like to keep the cost under 20 bucks for the knot if possible but less is always nice.

I would like to get Badger if I can as both brushes I have already are Vintage Badgers. I am also open to synthetic as it does keep the price down.

I saw on TGN that they have different grades of badger including pure and mixed. Unfortunately they don't say much about the performance or feel of them. Anyway like I said ideas, thoughts, experiences welcomed!

Thanks!
    Steve

I will upload some pictures shortly.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I only have experience with TGN and all of the knots I have bought from them have been great. At one time they did list what you could expect in face feel; black badger = scritch, best badger a little less scritch, finest even less scritch, etc... And priced accordingly.

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

If I had to choose between the two, I would steer you towards TGN if I could. Kinda hands down. I would recommend a 2 Band Finest considering your price range.

Even if you go a few dollars over, it is worth waiting if you need to, over buying a pure. That is just opinion, but I think you will be happier that way.

Have fun choosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

My latest acquisition.... 2.50 at an Antique shop but should clean up nicely

[​IMG]
    TGN - Mixed Badger $13.95
    [​IMG]
    Maggards Synthetic - $7
    [​IMG]
    Tuxedo - 16
    [​IMG]
    TGN - Pure Bagder not sure what that means exactly $17
    [​IMG]

Also looking for thoughts on what would go in the blue and white handle the best as well.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This.
    [​IMG]

AGHisBBS, RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I have both a 2 band Finest Fan from The Golden Nib and a 2 band (High Mountain) from Whipped Dog. Full disclosure- they are my only badgers, so I cannot compare them to a lot of expensive knots as others on here can.
    The knots: My TGN Fan is a good quality knot that has never shed, is dense enough and is a face-lathering machine.
    My WD HM Badger is just as dense as the TGN, IMHO, but I do find it floppier. A lot of that has to do with the fact that is is only set to 10mm (done by WD). My TGN fan is set to 15mm in my own handle.
    I want to bash out the WD knot and set it deeper in another handle for a little more backbone. Without doing that yet, I can't give a direct 'apples to apples' comparison. If you had to ask me right now which to buy again, I'd probably say the Fan. The quality is good and I love the shape. If I reset the HM and it has more backbone, it might be a closer decision.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  7. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the feedback and detail!

I just may been to send you an acrylic or polyester blank to have some fun with. I have a buddy that has a lathe but I dont want to screw it up!

Douglas Carey, RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

You won't screw it up. Just fool around on a piece of scrap wood first. Have fun turning!

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If you want synthetic Maggard's has the sunrise and their version of the tuxedo ( I personally go with the 22mm sunrise for the blue and white handle (hard to beat the price and performance)). If it is you first re-knotting, I'd recommend (with no offense intended) to go with a less expensive knot. The plus on the black synthetic knot is that, if you accidentally over indulge in epoxy, it doesn't show near as much. This is just friendly info, as always, it's your call.

Douglas Carey and Stu929 like this.
  10. spot705

spot705 Active Member

I've gotten my knots from Whipped Dog.
    Prices are reasonable.
    Selection is not overwhelming.
    Larry will answer any questions you may have and can make recommendations.

I tried to get a small (15mm) knot from TGN for a metal travel handle I have, but Paypal glitched and wouldn't let me process payment.
    To TGN's credit, they saw the problem I was having and emailed me with possible solutions, but nothing worked, so I gave up.
    The handle remains empty. It appears they don't carry 15mm anymore.:sad023:

11. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

For what you are wanting, I would recommend the Whipped Dog Silvertip or the TGN 2-Band Finest. Both are excellent and great "bang for the buck". Yes, I have both.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  12. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

[​IMG]

Douglas Carey likes this.
  13. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

The Golden NIP... :rofl: Warning, this knot can only be used with menthol creams and soaps. :smiley freezing:

Stu929 likes this.
  14. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

They do for the higher end knots. The pure and mixed dont really have that description.

15. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Oops typo!

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It's ok, I was looking all over for it. :drool:

17. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

So the wife encouraged me to get this to restore as well. Any idea what knot will or can fit this? Im hoping to order a knot for the one Im restoring for her tonight.[​IMG]

It appears to Rubberset by Trademark

Enrico likes this.
  18. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Looking them up online looks like a 49-5 maybe?

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The best way to know for sure is to carefully mask off around the knot. Cut off the exposed knot and measure the opening. Then you can judge if you need to widen the receiving knot opening. Only a guess is a 20mm, but could be bored to a 22mm. That should look right purdy when you done. May take ~ two weeks ... figuring clean out measuring ordering knot, refinishing and polishing handle, boring and re-lettering, then re-gluing new knot. ;)

Stu929 likes this.
  20. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Thanks! The letters wont be going back on this puppy, they are worn so light they may disappear when I try to polish it. Trying to decide what color to stain it, have some mahogany stain I got for working on a gunstock a while back.

There's also a chance it could just be an example for my buddy who plans to start turning handles! I converted him with a tech, gifted him a SS Flare and now he wants to start making brushes!

Enrico likes this.