Maize's Mule Kickin' ChilI

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by I Call It Maize, Sep 1, 2012.

1. I Call It Maize

I Call It Maize Well-Known Member

Hope you enjoy!

2 lbs. of meat of your choice

1 lb. of sausage or veal

1 bag of Hambeans 15 Bean Soup

36 oz of beer

8 Serrano peppers

4 Orange Habenaro peppers

3 Bell peppers ( green,red,orange)

2 poblano peppers

2 banana peppers

2 cayenne peppers

1 white onion

3 sweet onions

2 green onions

6 tomatoes

12 tomatillos

8 cloves of garlic

3-5 tbsp of brown sugar

2 tbls cumin

2 tsp of paprika

3 tsp chili powder

2 tsp oregano

2 tsp thyme

2 tsp basil

Soak beans overnight in beer. Drain and cook as indicated. You can discard seasoning packet or use it...your call.

Brown all meat. Keep drippings.

Combine all granular spices in bowl.

Chop/purée all peppers. Seeds or seedless is up to you.

Chop/dice tomatoes. You can add a can more tomatoes or a can or two of tomato paste if you like a stronger tomato base to your chili.

Chop/dice onions then sauté with garlic in the meat drippings.

Mix meat, pepper purée, tomatoes, onions, and spices in a large pot. Bring mixture to a bubble while stirring. Cover and simmer for 1.5 hours. Add beans then simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

IMPORTANT: Take pot off of stove, leaving covered, and place the pot immediately in the refrigerator. Let chili "cure" overnight.

Note: I do not add any salt during the cooking process. I let the individual salt to taste once the Mule is in the bowl.

Obviously there are many additions and/or subtraction and/or substitutions you could incorporate into your own recipe. If you do not have time for the fresh ingredients, you can chose canned versions of many of the items above that even come pre-seasoned. No peppers??? No problem...Use hot, medium, mild salsa or just good good ole' hot sauce. Use 1 lb. beef, 1 lb. sausage, 1 lb. veal. Red wine. Etc. etc. etc.

battle.munky and GDCarrington like this.
  2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!