Mama Bear -- A Huge Surprise!!!!

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jgkeegan, Oct 16, 2010.

1. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

Until today, I had never tried Mama Bear's shaving soaps. That absence never bothered me. Recently I received two tubs of MB in a trade and finally, a few hours ago, I decided to try it.

So I hopped into the shower and washed my face.

• applied castle forbes pre-shave
    • used a hot towel for 40-seconds
    • dumped the small amount of water on top of the MB
    • Shook and squeezed my brush, a vintace custom with a TGN knot, and
    • swirled it in the tub of soap for 10 seconds when lather began to build
    • at the 30-second mark the lather was growing up my arm so I began pass 1 of 3

Wow. I had a terrific shave.

And I don't even like Earl Grey Tea (that was the scent of the soap today),

2. AxelH

AxelH New Member

Yep, very good soaps. I think you should leave the water off the puck. MB soaps are well known for being fast and easy latherers so give it a shot dry. Just soak the brush and squeeze it till it's mostly dry then give it a whirl.

3. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

I don't know .... I'm not sure I could improve on today. I'd be happy if I could duplicate it!!!!

Of course, I an a fickle soul. Vey often, my best shave is my last shave.;)

4. armenakadino

armenakadino New Member

same here just got my tub of mama bears I was just amazed at the the soap

5. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

I am looking at the 2nd tub, "Rain Orchard" if you can believe it, and trying to decide if I should try than tomorrow.

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

If you are drinking the lather - you aren't doing it right.

MB soaps are pretty good. I prefer JoAnna's soaps here at the TSD store. However, MB Awakenings is pretty awesome stuff.

7. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

I haven't tried JoAnna's soaps yet. I am very soap-heavy now and I tried the MB thinking that if I hated it I could trade it or perhaps PIF it.

Of course, now you have me curious and have awakened my buying disorder ......

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I must to say that the soaps of Mama Bear are very good, but the soaps of JoAnna are far superior.

9. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

You are inciting my buying disorder.:happy102

10. crackstar

Ahhh? That's my intention! :happy102 (just joking!)

11. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

Of course it was your intention.

I am ging to go and put on my Ottawa senators hat now.
    :signs136

12. crackstar

:happy102

13. thatguyjeff

thatguyjeff New Member

I have 3 tubs of MB soaps - though I only paid for 2...

I ordered the Lemon/Cedar and the Turkish Bazaar soaps, but instead of the Turkish Bazaar, I got a different scent by mistake. I emailed MB and they sent me the correct scent, no mention of what to do with the other one. Great service over at MB.

Also, if you're looking for plastic tubes for your shave sticks, MB sells those as well. I think they're $2-3 each.

I find the MB soaps (and shave soaps in general) a little drying. I'm toying with the idea of melting down the extra tub I got and trying to mix in a little more glycerin or maybe castor oil. I might just email MB and ask if they have any advice on me adding a little extra moisturizer to their soap.

14. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

I have the plastic tubs from MB. PM me if they reply and tell you if you can safely melt it of if you need to grate it.

15. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

I have MB's sandlewood vanilla and the Awakenings. I use the Sandlewood on Sunday's and the Awakenings every other Monday.

16. mezz524

mezz524 New Member

I use MB soaps and JoAnna both are great soap.
    I like JoAnna a little better because you can add extra menthol to any soap.
    It's a real plus.

17. profsaffel

profsaffel The a**s go marching one by one

I too have a few Mama Bear's and I like 'em. No Dr. Harris or [insert other 200 year old English import here], but as far as glycerin's go, all could use a puck in there collection. Great scents and lathers easily.

18. neanderthal

neanderthal Member

MB

"Awakenings" its tough not to be bright eyed and full of cheer after using. Is there a consensus on MB best scent?

19. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

Is there anyone who tried each scent?

20. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

I keep trying soaps and creams as I come across them but nothing yet has been as good as the D.R. Harris.