mama bear shave soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by adam24201, Nov 24, 2014.

1. adam24201

adam24201 Member

I have eyeballing mama bear shave soaps lately and the soap that cought my eye was the whiskey cream any one try this one

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

mama bear makes a great shave soap so you can't go wrong. the problem is just deciding on what scent. I'm particularly partial to the "czars choice" which is lime cilantro which I helped bring to market.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  3. adam24201

adam24201 Member

That's awesome

richgem likes this.
  4. richgem

Thanks! It was a lot of fun working with Sue (mama bear).

If you try anything, they can be a little hard to lather the first few times b/c the glycerine can form a poorly lathering skin as the puck cools. But, once you break through this skin (a good hot water soak and scratching it off with your fingernail usually does the trick) you get to the soapy goodness beneath and you are good to go.

Also of note, "Czar's Choice" is available in mentholated and non-mentholated versions.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. adam24201

adam24201 Member

That's great I will def pick me up a puck or 2 thanks alot

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. richgem

You're welcome! Let me know how it goes. Tell Mama that The Czar of Cheddar sent you. ;)

crackstar likes this.
  7. adam24201

adam24201 Member

Shall do richgem ;)

GDCarrington and richgem like this.
  8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

You know, the first few Mama Bear soaps I tried gave me nasty irritations and even poor lather. For a long time I wouldn't even try any new ones, but a couple of years ago I forced myself to buy an Awakenings (very mentholated) and a Lemon Ice, (also pretty cooling) and I have to admit I actually enjoy them.

adam24201 likes this.
  9. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

I like the Barber Shop, and coconut ones. I haven't tried any of the cooling ones though.

10. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

They are melt and pour soaps without all the fun of Tallow or Shea Butter, but there are plenty of scents to choose from.

I haven't really been all that interested in these soaps in past, though I've used 2 MB soaps, but they have a line of soaps that is appealing to me. Their 100% essential oil soaps are a steal at that price - the coffee scent is calling my name! I'm not sure if I'll ever replace the MB soaps that I had, but if I do it will be to get some of the EO soaps.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I got some samples a long time ago but I'll be honest and admit I didn't care for their performance at all.
    This was a year ago though so maybe things have changed but it's all YMMV any way.

12. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

At least performance wise they seem the same, I have some from 2010 and some from earlier this year and they seem to work about the same. I should also say, I've found the soaps to work pretty well. I also melted a couple sample pucks for my wife a few days ago and it worked out really well.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have gone back to using the ones I have a lot more recently.

Aged Spice
    Caribbean Bay Rhum
    Czar's Choice
    Dragon's Blood
    Masculine Musk

I find I like the simplicity of the product and the ease of making thick slick lather with fine scents.

Spit_Fire likes this.
  14. richgem

Hmmm... Czar's Choice... I think I've heard of that one before. ;)

:drool:

GDCarrington and crackstar like this.
  15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

No kidding! :happy097:

GDCarrington and richgem like this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I remember when a certain penquin posed for the label ... and requested a 200 herring fee for the pose IIRC! ;)

richgem likes this.
  17. richgem

Mama threw in a half pound of krill as a tip for that pose! :happy093:

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. Badger91

Badger91 New Member

Mama Bear's soaps were the first soap I used when I bought my brush last year and I'm still a big fan. They lather like crazy, but I do have a water softener which helps quite a bit, I imagine.