March 24 is the EverReady 1914's 101st Birthday

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Once again the Fabulous EverReady 1914, The One And the Only..."THE LITTLE LATHER CATCHER"......Is having a birthday.....This March 24th will be her 101st....

Those of you who know her, know this is not a normal razor....This one wins the Hearts and Whiskers of all who have tried her....She's one 'Blast From the Past'...a real party razor if there ever was one....For over a century she has taken no prisoners...She is still one of my most favorite razors hands down....

image.jpg So how are we going to celebrate this year....?
    What are your ideas?
    image.jpg

I at the very least plan on giving my whiskers to her for the whole month of March....In fact I've already started...ha,ha....

So everyone grab a 1914, grab, borrow, buy, or Steal...and join the party....And lets discuss, and hear all ideas....and share 1914 stories....I know there are no shortage of those....and lets see some pictures.....Heres the place....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. Bird Lives

Story no 1
    Was it fact or urban myth?
    But I heard something about an EverReady 1914 rushed into a burning building :shocked003:and saved a bunch of people a few years back.....Where was that? Somewhere in Texas?....I don't remember.....Or was it....A bunch of people rushed into a burning building to save an ER 1914 a few years back?...:happy088:....That would make sense....I can't remember, too much Menthol probably.:happy102:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    Douglas Carey and GDCarrington like this.
  3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Lloyd, you're thinking of the time an Ever-Ready 1914 ran through a hail of gunfire into a burning building during an earthquake and rescued Chuck Norris, and that absolutely did happen.

I will definitely be celebrating the birthday of one of the greatest razors ever developed.

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Looking good for 101! :D

Douglas Carey likes this.
  5. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Looking Good for 101+ - Hopefully one day I can add one to my den

6. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

Maybe I will join you on the month long birthday party. The 1914 is my least used SE. It would give me a chance to get familiar with it. I vowed to use a 1914 more often after a miserable shave with one during my three week long SINGLEMANIA celebration, but haven't done so.

7. Sammy1

Sammy1 Active Member

Nice razor.

8. Bird Lives

Hey man....the things about the 1914 that makes it seem a little daunting at first for some....Are exactly the things that makes it become many peoples favorite...

I read about this across the street at TOST, in a conversation about this awesome razor...One thing, this razor probably delievers the most feedback of any production razor ever....The handle seems to vibrate with each whisker cut...and its also the loudest razor I've ever heared...Sounds like when Curly in the Three Stooges would shave with a Str8....Scary sounding...The analogy I read from Rocket Man was the ER 1914 was like driving a Lamborgini...where the wheels transmit every bit of information from the road to the steering wheel...It gives you complete control and that can be a little scary, and exciting...

I agree....and once you get used to it...It can give you fabulous shaves....I think its the closest thing going to a Str8 in a safety razor....only sharper,.....ha,ha....The sound and vibrations make this one a hoot...a real party razor...And with the lather catcher I can almost complete a pass without rinsing.....ha,ha...

You are the one who turned me on to SE shaving...You're my SE mentor....I know you have forgotten more than I will ever know about these guys, and I can take whatever you have to say, to the bank!!...Thanks for the info about Chuck Norris.....I knew it was something like that....and afterwards the razor disappered and didn't except any credit...The Little Lather Catcher always was a modest champion.....

clint64 and HoosierTrooper like this.
  9. Bird Lives

4 more days til The Little Lather Catchers Birthday

clint64 likes this.
  10. Bird Lives

3 more days till the Little Lather Catcher's 101st Birthday.
    How are the Birthday preps going at your house?

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I will be celebrating the 101 with this bad boy. Once a year, it comes out for its birthday. I find it too aggressive for daily shaving. Take a look at the exposure and gap on this thing. It really sings, too. The safety in this razor is marginal IMHO. I am, however, expecting a close and, hopefully, comfortable shave.
    er14_05.jpg er14_02.jpg er14_01.jpg

12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

would it be ok if I celebrated the 14's special day with the 24.
    it's the closest I have on my collection?

13. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

That's what I had to do. I picked up a 1914 through a grab box recently. Spent some time cleaning it all up recently, then found that the blade stops were almost non-existent when I went to put the blade in.:angry017: I had the same thing happen with a Clog Pruf I picked up for $3 at an antique mall. So I pulled out the Shovel Head for the week instead.

youngunn and Douglas Carey like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Just cleaned my Ever-Ready 1914 up. Put in a new Gem stainless steel blade, I'm ready to go tomorrow. :happy088:

HoosierTrooper and Douglas Carey like this.
  15. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

Hmm..maybe I should wait to shave tomorrow and skip today.. I was going to give a SE a try for the first time today, but may wait so I have a good growth to shave off... This is what I'll be using. I don't believe its a 1914 but closest I have.
    [​IMG]

16. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Yeah that'd be the one I put in. If you hold the blade straight and close the door it holds it ok to shave with. Sorry! Hehe

17. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I'll be shaving with the '14 tomorrow in its honor. Got a GEM PTFE SS lined up and some Stirling suds ready.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  18. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I'll have to play with it again tonight and see, but my fear is that my scrubbing with the toothbrush and rags may have worn them down a little more. Hey, nothing to be sorry about. If I can get it to work I might be able to try out the 1914 for free.

19. Bird Lives

I have so much love for the 1924 that any shave with that Shovel-headed beauty is always in good taste....
    The 1912 is always in good taste....enjoy.....

Mustache likes this.
  20. Bird Lives

image.jpg
    Wow, A hot rod 1914....dig those twin exhaust pipes, Jayaruh...