Martin De Candre: $$$, But Worth it?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by HolyRollah, Jan 1, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have not been particularly impressed by a number of shave-related products that have what are considered 'higher than normal' price tags. I have used moderately-priced razors, low cost soaps & creams, 'cheap' brushes—as well as other products that have a significantly large price tag.

When the subject comes to shaving soap and creams, I have both good and bad experiences, regardless of the item's price. I've had great shaves with drugstore discount soaps, and had miserable 'lather' episodes with pricey imported creams. So price, it seems at least in my experience, doesn't necessarily guarantee an outstanding shave soap or cream.

So when I recently got the opportunity to try the 'fancy' French shave soap, Martin De Candre, I was anxious to see if it lived up to it's hefty price tag and the rave reviews the soap has garnered.

The Soap: Opening the 200g glass jar the 'MdC' soap revealed a firm, yet not hard, vanilla-white product made from "...100% vegetable oils (olive, coconut)." The soap comes in either regular, unscented ("without perfume") or a stronger-scented "Fougére." The jar I have is the regular 'scented' version—an outdoorsy, herbal scent reminiscent of lavender and rosemary. A very nice fragrance!

Lather Up!: With a minimal amount of swirls of the boar brush on the MdC puck, I was able to generate a rather incredible quantity of lather in a bowl. Outstanding water retention, few visible bubbles, and the lather had a very slick feeling between my thumb & fingers. I then face-lathered with the same boar brush, using a similar number of 'swirls' as before. Again, a slick, creamy lather developed on my face with little effort. I dapped the brush once in water to further develop the lather and soon my face was pleasantly painted with the cream. A three-pass shave ensued, complete with two more face-latherings. The brush retained enough of the soap so that I really didn't need to swirl more from the jar. A very comfortable shave!

Conclusion: Okay, I've only had one shave with this soap, so take my observations for what they are: first impressions. I do have to say that I was quite impressed with this initial venture with this soap! The lather MdC generates was better than most other soaps I have used previously. It is easily on par with two of my favorites (Tabac & Mitchell's Wool Fat), but the MdC yields the lather so much easier than the MWF, and is even a bit slicker feeling than Tabac.

I look forward to continuing to use the MdC and the jar appears 'untouched' even after my first usage (the MdC website says the 200g jar will last a year with daily use). If you want to try a quality soap that makes truly luxurious lather, I recommend you give MdC a try. The price of entry is steep ($60-65; less for travel sizes), but in my opinion, MdC is an exceptional performer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I still have some of an MdC sampler (Original scent) and loved the scent and performance; it was exceptional in every aspect. The price isn't too bad considering it's about $80 shipped to me, for 200g of soap of this caliber. I completely believe their claim of a years worth of shaves from a single pot, the stuff just seems to last forever because it doesn't take much to make a plethora of lather. Hmmm, I wonder if my wife would notice if I ordered a jar today...

entropy1049 likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

This thread had me look on the bay for MdC. I found this > Douceur de Cando (DdC) Shaving Soap. The claim is it's just like MdC. Anyone try this? If so. Thoughts?

4. Neolithium

Google seems to have a bunch of positive reviews, but there are the many that still mention its a decent clone but noticeably not the real thing.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

Love Love Love it. Scent and performance! Totally worth the money. If I used this solely I could see it lasting for a couple years at least so not a bad price at all!

entropy1049, RaZorBurn123 and Bobcat like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

"last one year with daily use". For me it would last about 60 years! :) (provided, of course, I maintain my current soap count)

Boojum1 likes this.
  7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I think that's Prarie Creations copy of it. Go to her website and you'll find it, along with her version of Williams, among other things.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  8. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

MdC Fourgere is one of my favorites for both performance and scent.

LASS Topanga Fourgere is very close performance-wise to MdC IMO.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I had my second shave this morning using the MdC, this time using a straight razor versus the aggressive Mühle R41 DE yesterday.
    Face-lathered with a Semogue boar: I started with about 8-10 swirls of the damp brush on the soap, loaded up nicely, and painted a nice coating on my face. It felt very slick to the touch.
    The blade glided exceptionally well, even on those 'tough' sections of my beard. Two solid face-latherings from the initial brush load; no need for 2nd or 3rd dipping. As I stated in my initial post, this soap will last a long time.

10. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

Have to agree MdC gives a great slick lather every time, with minimal product. I could be quite happy if this were my only soap.

entropy1049 likes this.
  11. Neolithium

Must.....resist.....ordering....

ObiDon and Tsalagi44 like this.
  12. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

If you're looking for a very close replacement for MdC at nearly half the price, try Le Père Lucien. Artisan made and awesome.

13. I have been at this fantastic traditional wet-shaving "hobby" since late 2006 and I can honestly say that in my opinion, the Martin de Candre Fougere is the finest soap I have ever tried. It is one of only two future "re-buys" in my lather category.

14. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I was sent a sample of MDC soap from one of our members here and the scent of it would gag a goat.:sick007:I couldn't begin to lather it up, but the sample of Floid Blue he also sent was divine. I am going to order this as soon as I get my hands on a spare $40.00 .

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I had read that some folks really can't abide the MdC scent, and so I was a bit nervous when I found out my sis had purchased me a tin of it. She favored the regular scent and so choose that variety over the unscented. I have to admit, I do enjoy the scent as well. Fresh, herbal, clean… however, I haven't yet had the opportunity to test it on a goat. ;)

PLANofMAN, oldtrout and Tdmsu like this.
  16. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

I've said it before and here goes again. MdC is the only soap I've tried that I can load the brush for 6 seconds and have a 5 pass shave! Honestly I don't know what happens to this soap at the factory but I'm convinced magic is somehow involved. I've tried the 6 second load with different soaps with dismal results. If you have problems with MdC "use more product" isn't the problem. Your more likely using a brush with no hair than needing more product. Yes it's expensive but my goodness a glass jar should last about......let me think.....forever! Well maybe not that long but a very long time. With how long a jar will last the price really isn't that much. I read a post from a guy who said he used a jar over a year of daily use. At $65/jar that works out to .18 cents per shave. Not bad for a soap of this quality! Oh BTW for a jar to only last 1 yr I think he was overloading the brush. Just sayin'. Lol

17. synth

synth Member

It may just be the lighting in the picture but to me your jar of soap appears to be the regular scent and not the fougere. The fougere has more of a greenish label.

I find MdC to be the pinnacle of shave soaps but there are several others that can compete and do so more cost effectively.

Enjoy!

ObiDon and HolyRollah like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:o You are absolutely correct! My mistake! I do have the regular-scented MdC, and NOT the fougere version. I have corrected my initial post, but alas, cannot correct the title. However, my mislabeling aside, I do really like the fragrance this soap, and love the performance!
    Now I have to get a sample of the Fougere to compare!

S'il vous plaît pardonnez-moi! :o

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

HeMan.jpg
    How would you like the title to read? :D

HolyRollah likes this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Sáns the word, "fougére" in the title, O Powerful One!
    "Martin De Candre: $$$, But Worth it?" :happy088: