Master Bay Rum

Discussion in 'Aftershave Reviews' started by jbcohen, Oct 20, 2007.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

After picking this one up at Sally's Beauty Supply, I can understand why a lot of forum members really like Bay Rum after shave. This is not my wife's favorite but will be my favorite for quite some time. This one is almost perfect, got faulted for the price $8 a little high.

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Yes, I agree. I enjoy the Master's Bay Rum and it was a little cheaper at my local Sally's. Handy to have around. Refreshing!

3. Will

Will Nevermind

Great aftershave, smells delish, and a great price too!

4. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I've read about this bay rum for some time, but have only just recently found it. This is some great stuff!
    Smells great, not my wife's favorite, but she does like it.
    Just used it for the first time, practically no sting, had one bump that got shaved over, expected some sting, nada.
    Soothing, refreshing, not really cooling, but then I didn't expect it to be.
    Price, very good considering the size of the bottle and quality of the product.
    Absorbs and moisturizes well, and tickles the pleasant-receptors of the nasal orifices!
    great stuff!

5. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I love masters bay rum

This is the only shaving product I've kept using from day one til now. I've only used a third of the bottle, too

It's just good stuff. Nice scent and it really lets me know everything I need about how well my skin was protected during the shave whether I am testing a razor, a technique, or a soap or cream.

This is the only styptic / astringent I've ever needed

When it's there, I love the burn :)

I rated the absorption as evaporation. The scent can linger, but the aftershave itself is gone pretty quickly

6. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Among my favorites. Don't know if it's a full-blown splash so far as alcohol content is concerned as it lacks burn but I'm sure it cleans sufficiently, and what's more it feels and smells fantastic. Nicely priced too.

7. newb

newb Resident Newb

A gentle soothing AS. That is refreshing. I like to kick it up a notch with 1/2 teaspoon of menthol crystals. It's not a lingering scent so it agree's with most colognes. It's a go to, nice , refreshing and very affordable. Everyone should have a bottle in their shave den.

8. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

My favorite AS. I could bathe in this stuff.

9. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Great scent, cheap. Whats not to love?

There is something warming about the scent of this stuff. The scent kind of folds its arms around you. It is comforting when you splash it on and can turn a rough shave into a not so bad shave. It invokes the wife into a deep inhalation when I walk into the room after applying. Works for me and she likes it and for the amount that you get, a good deal.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I just picked up a bottle of this at my local Sally's beauty supply. It was on sale so I got it for around $5.00. This is a bare bones, bay rum scent. No extra smells, no extra spices, just the warm enfolding scent of vanilla and brown sugar with a hint of tobacco.

Ingredient List: Deionized Pure Water, SD Alcohol 40, Glycerin, Bay Oil, FD & C Yellow #5, FD & C Yellow #6.

The smell does not last long as others have said. This reminds me of a watered down version of L'Artisan Pafumeur's Vanille Absolument and makes a perfect base AS for this fragrance. The major difference between the two, other than price, is the fact that Vanille Absolument does not project as much as Master's Bay Rum and the scent lasts for hours rather than Master's few minutes.

Vanille Absolument
    Eau de Parfumby L’Artisan Parfumeur

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Scoop
    Bertrand Duchaufour’s eagerly awaited take everyone’s favorite pod – L’Artisan Parfumeur’s fifth travel-inspired fragrance – is as far from a gourmand as he could possibly make it. Though Havana Vanille opens with a burning shot of smooth old rum laced with clove and crystallized fruit, it quickly melts into a gossamer veil of shimmering vanilla, so fresh it almost feels green. But Duchaufour’s masterstroke is grafting this sheer vanilla on to a soft tobacco accord conjured with three materials presenting a tobacco facet: tonka bean, immortelle and narcissus. This isn’t the sweet, heavy fragrance of vanilla-flavored pipe tobacco, but the leather-tinged, honey-hay smell of a Cuban humidor. The subtlest floral note weaves itself into the blend along with a hint of moist earth. As it sinks into its balsamic base, the vanilla takes on a sweeter tinge. This is a vanilla that’ll satisfy even the pickiest perfumistas, bursting with rich materials yet as ethereal as a wisp of smoke.

Previously called Havana Vanille, the name of the fragrance has changed, but the scent remains the same.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Vanille Absolument Notes
    vanilla pod infused in old rum, clove, leather, crystallized dried fruit, a “ball of vanilla and powder”, narcissus, helichrysum, tonka bean, benzoin, tolu, musks, vanilla absolute

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Perfumer
    Bertrand Duchaufour

[​IMG]

11. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I picked up a bottle of this a little while back. Reading the ingredients, it seems they don't put glycerin in it anymore. I still like it though. It's got plenty of moisturizing in it so I'm not sure if the glycerin will be missed. Anyone else notice this?

Paul Turner likes this.
  12. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I add 2 drops per ounce to all my A/S as soon as I buy them :D

Edit: Some people are sensitive to Glycerin so make sure you are not BEFORE you wreck a whole bottle

battle.munky likes this.
  13. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Still working on my original bottle that has glycerin in it. I'll check when I am next at Sally's.

You can add glycerin yourself if you wanted to. They sell it at CVS and most other CVS type stores.

14. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I've been using Master's for a long time and never realized the glycerin was gone.

15. feeltheburn

It still seems fine without the glycerin. I guess the bay oil moisturizes too? It also seems to stick around pretty well. It's about 4 hours after my shave now and I can still smell it. I'll take a pic of the label in a minute.

16. feeltheburn