Matching scents

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by JimPo42, Apr 26, 2013.

1. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I don't always do this but most of the time if I use a soap I like to match the aftershave that goes with it. Like if I use my T&H Grafton cream I have to use the Grafton AS. Also when I'm cruising on sites to buy stuff I like to see if there us a matching post product. Even if there isn't a match I try to get the same scent. Like klar kabinett with rose scented witch hazel. Does anyone else do this or do I have I some weird shaving ocd?

2. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I try to get complementary scents, Cuz it would be expensive for me to acquire enough software to match scents.

With the witch hazel I use either lavender or Rose, its soft and goes with a lot. Soaps and creams I don't care really because it'll fade and the smell is to enjoy while shaving. However I do try to match colognes with the aftershave I use.

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't try for the same scents, but that is a bonus. I do try to go with complimentary scents, ones that are in the same "family."

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My shampoo has a scent that has a different scent than
    My shower soap that has a different scent than
    My pre-shave that has a different scent than
    My shave soap that has a different scent than
    My after shave that has a different scent than
    My cologne that has a different scent than
    My pit stick.

I couldn't afford to try and match everything up, especially with the 40-some odd soaps I have.
    And the best part? At the end of the day when I walk in the house after work and my wife gives me a hug, she always tells me I smell good :angelic013:

youngunn and LGh like this.
  5. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I don't match everything. Just soap and aftershave usually. My shower and deodorant I consider separate. Agree with the scent family comment. Citrus with citrus, rose with rose.... Of course no one has made a floid or clubman scented soap that I've found. So I do mix it up a little. But I feel as though it wouldn't be right to use speick without using the matching splash. Like it unbalances everything.

6. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I just go for what feels right. Using a scented soap or cream will influence my aftershave selection, but it's probably more of a subconscious than conscious effect.

BossManBill likes this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

what blends nicely with Cella
    after shave suggestions?
    I know this was a dead thread, sorry, I was searching for inspiration.

8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

From my own cabinet I would try Murray & Lanman Florida Water or Brut Dominant

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

2 and 1/2 years later you told me the same thing! :angelic007:

10. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Grooming Nirvana:

Old Spice Classic Body Wash
    Old Spice Shave Soap
    Old Spice After Shave
    Old Spice Cologne
    Old Spice Original Round Stick Formula DEO

[​IMG]

11. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

If a soap or cream happens to match any of my Pinauds, that's fine, if they don't---that's fine also!!

12. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I find that matching scents doesn't matter very much. Sometimes I will match a soap with an aftershave, but the scent from the soap doesn't hang around long enough for it to interfere with the A/S so it is just for fun if anything.

Paul Turner likes this.
  13. Paul Turner

I sense a pattern here, Tony :)

14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I have a great deal of different layering combos, but Old Spice and Speick are my favorite holistic combos. It can be very difficult to go "all the way" with a product line, but I can with Speick and Old Spice.

Paul Turner likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

This winter(and late fall)I plan to go "all the way" with Clubman. Same with Stephan when I rotate with that. I could with Rise, but they don't have a shampoo.

16. Paul Turner

I like that "family" comment.

PLANofMAN likes this.