Maybe the greatest album ever made ?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by newb, May 17, 2012.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

I'm 46 years old. In my lifetime there's only been a few albums that have touched my soul. The original Boston. "More than a feeling ' may be one of best songs ever written in my youth. The Pixies,,,Surfa Rosa album was my first exposure to alternative rock and totally changed my life. Nirvana's neverMind took the Pixies loud / soft sound to a NEW level... And then Rock was dead.. Nothing since...... All bubble gum music IMHO since then. But then Lou Reed, who I've enjoyed combined with Metallica and produced an album, though very artistic ( in the typical Lou Reed style) and unknown to the masses./ Leaves me sitting here in tears listening to 19 minutes of the song Junior Dad.; I've never heard music like this that hits deep in my soul. I believe that in 20 years this album will be recognized as one of the greatest works of art ever. But for now it is relatively unknown. The album is called LuLu, and though not popular at the current time in history is well worth a listen. I'm just so overwhelmed by the music that I had to share this with TSD. I hope you enjoy it.

I hope you boys enjoy this condensed version.

KLF and Conrad1959 like this.
  2. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I wasn't sure how I felt about it when it started and got into it a bit, but as it went on and on it kind of pulled me in and I found myself really liking it. Now that it's over I find myself with that repetitive melody wafting through my mind and I'm drawn into wanting to listen again and again. Very cool, thanks for posting it.

3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

My vote for the greatest album ever.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  4. newb

newb Resident Newb

Tom, I Love sonVolt, Jay is a genus, but I do believe Uncle Tupelo was the roots. And the roots are superior. Jeff Tweedy and Jay Farrar are possibly the Simon and Garfunkel of our generation. Each alone are good, but neither alone were able to reproduce the Tupelo magic. Uncle tupelo album
    March 16-20, 1992

Here's some early Tupelo, for you brother.

is their greatest work ever. IMHO... I'm a big Son Volt, Wilco and Uncle Tupelo fan. But this album LuLu touches my soul, I find myself listening to it over and over. And enjoying it more and more. It's worth listening to a few times. The first time is a warm up. But each time I listen exposes the musical genus of Metallica and Lou Reed. As I said before one of the greatest albums ever produced.

5. HoosierTrooper

Hey another SV fan! I own everything Jay has done with UT, SV, his solo work and collaborations with Ben Gibbard and others. But I cannot stand Tweedy. Some of the early Wilco stuff is decent at best. I do agree that UT is legendary, it started a whole genre of music.

6. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Music is such a personal thing. What affects any listener emotionally, intellectually, artistically, or sonically is as unique and complex as the listener. That being said, any talk of the greatest albums is really a discussion of favorite albums. That's the beauty of music. It is as diverse as we are.

GDCarrington and Conrad1959 like this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Rich that is so true. I have so many favorites for various reasons so I have never been able to pick a favorite. There are many I rank very highly, but favorite, I am not able to choose.

8. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

My favorite at the moment:

[​IMG]

Les Elgart along with his brother and oft time collaborator, Larry, created a tight pianoless ensemble that re-imagined and helped to carry the big band craze into the '50s and beyond.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I dig that album cover!

10. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Machine_HeadBIG.jpg
    For me this classic 1970's rock album is at least one of the top 5 greatest of all time...

Mechguy likes this.
  11. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

[​IMG]

Sorry, had to do it. I have many favorite albums and would feel sad if any of them were missing on my deserted isle. This is one of them—Abbey Road is timeless for me.

12. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

uploadfromtaptalk1337456181425.jpg

This has to be my favorite album...so far in my 28 years of life. Ron Sexsmith's Long Player Late Bloomer. I can never get enough of it and it always makes me feel better when I hear him sing. He's fast becoming a Canadian legend like Leonard Cohen.

Here's him playing "The Reason Why", track 2 from the album above:

13. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

My favourite:
    [​IMG]

Mechguy and battle.munky like this.
  14. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

@Steve M: I'd give the edge to Revolver, but the Beatles are among the best for certain.
    @Justin: Definitely the best Zepplin album, love it myself.

Ultimately, I'd have to go to this for myself:
    Legendofcash.jpg

Mechguy, newb and Slipperyjoe like this.
  15. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Good choice. So many good songs on Revolver, but I like the track-to-track album flow of Abbey Road a tad better. Threads on albums are trickier to me than simply artist/band/song threads.

16. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

My favorite album and band... :git:

close to the edge.jpg

HoosierTrooper likes this.
  17. HoosierTrooper

I've got the original vinyl of Close to the Edge that I bought when it came out (72?), along with all of their oters from that era. Yes was my favorite band in high school and the 70's and 80's. Some of their later stuff got kind of weak, but the early stuff was classic.

wlmcad likes this.
  18. TexasWheels

TexasWheels Member

I felt that way until I ran across The Black Keys last year and then I decided that they are doing Rock justice. Since then I've bought all their albums and I can honestly say I hadn't listened to any album from start to finish in probably 10-12 years and I do theirs constantly. As a bonus they make some great video's. While I can't say it's my all time favorite album, it's in the mix.

19. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

That is a powerful choice. I got a chance to go the rock and roll hall of fame shortly after his passing, and they had a fantastic tribute to Johnny Cash, with lots of personal family photos, and recordings. Great album, in my opinion nobody could strip a song down to its essentials like Johnny Cash. Pure emotion, excellent choice.

20. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

little_feat_waitingf.jpg
    My vote, its hard to choose with so many great possabilities, but here is an album I have owned on record, cassette, CD, and finally MP3. I keep coming back. I don't think you can go wrong with the classic live album, Little Feat-Waiting for Columbus.