MDC vs. LPL

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by markjnewcomb, Nov 5, 2014.

1. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a jar of MDC (original) and a jar of LPL and I wanted to give people my impressions of the difference between the two.

Price: LPL - about $45 delivered
    MDC - about $75 delivered (about 40% more expensive)
    Lathering: Both lather quickly, but LPL seems to lather a little more readily than MDC. Both are thirsty soaps, but MDC seems to be a little more thirsty.
    Slickness: Both are among the slickest I have used, but I do have to give a slight edge to MDC.
    Cushioning: Both cushion very well and I can not tell any real difference between the two.
    Moisturizing: Both have high moisturizing qualities with little, if any, difference.
    Scent: MDC seems to have a touch of soap scent that is absent from LPL. However, the MDC also has a slightly stronger overall scent than LPL. Both scents are pleasant to me.
    Longevity: This is where, IMHO, MDC shines. While the LPL jar visibly shows use, the MDC seems to not show any use. I believe that the MDC will last significantly longer than LPL. Part of the reason for this is that LPL is much softer and seems to be more of a croap than a soap.

The reality is that you if you like one, you will almost certainly like the other. The only real differences I can see are the price and the longevity of the soaps. Is MDC worth 40% more? Maybe, maybe not - it really depends on you.

I hope this helps someone contemplating buying one or the other. BTW - if you bought one and hate it, you can always PIF it to me. ;)

2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

does the MdC last 40% more?

3. markjnewcomb

I don't know yet. But, it looks like it will.

4. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I have been at a jar of MdC do several months. I always seem to make too much lather and the jar looks as if barely touched. I mean it looks like a glycerin soap after one use. I think the stuff is never going to run out

markjnewcomb likes this.
  5. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

I find MdC a tad drying and prefer LPL for its post-shave property and scents. Having said that, I much prefer the Artisanal soaps I can find in the US for the scents they offer and their prices are more reasonable since I live in Canada. :)

ps1160 and markjnewcomb like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Mark, nice comparison! I haven't tried LPL. I do have a jar of MdC original, IMO it's worth every penny. The best soap I've ever used.

ps1160 and markjnewcomb like this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Thanks for a comprehensive review, Mark!

markjnewcomb likes this.
  8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice review Mark & it fits right in with my thoughts on MDC. I love LPL also but it is a step below MDC ( not much) I ordered two jars because it is kind of hard to find. If I had known that one jar was going to last me forever, I would not have needed to get two. It reminds me of the Energizer Bunny. It just goes and goes and goes and is still full. I love the stuff by itself but with a crème as a ubelather it is simply outstanding. I use Coates crèmes with it because they are not a strong scent and I would not want to kill the wonderful scent of the MDC. With that said, I like the scent of Le Pere Lucien a little better

markjnewcomb likes this.
  9. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I'm interested in mdc but with so many good artisan soaps out right now I'm not really in a rush to buy it.

Maybe one day.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  10. markjnewcomb

I've not found either to be the least bit drying. In fact, I think both are excellent at moisturizing.

For me, the only two real differences were the price and how long they last. Yes, the scents are different, but scents are such a personal taste that it is impossible to tell what anyone else will like.

BTW - My daughter said "Thank that Cuban guy again for the soap". :)

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice write-up, Mark!
    Having used both, I agree with your observations. Both are exceptional latherers.
    Either would provide a very good shaving experience.

What if you got MdC for 'only' $58?....:D a no-brainer.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent review.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  13. markjnewcomb

Well, if you can get MDC for $58.00, then do you want a new best friend?

HolyRollah likes this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

my sis travels to Paris 2-3x a year. This is how I've gotten the MdC with no shipping charges. :D

markjnewcomb likes this.
  15. markjnewcomb

Pay for my tickets to & from Paris and I'll get them for you for free (maximum of 1 jar / trip). :happy102:

16. RaZorBurn123

I bought my MdC from a US seller, paid $75 delivered. Beats waiting a couple of weeks coming from France.

Edit: I bought my MdC from the same seller that Mark had provided the link to. Who was very easy to deal with.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    markjnewcomb likes this.
  17. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I emailed MdC and asked how much it would cost to ship a jar to Sweden. They didn't respond

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

Bad customer service! :angry032:

19. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Haha they are french=P

fram773 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

I wasn't going to go there :p

Omelmad likes this.